Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Youngest enlisted soldiers, UK

Guest cmctighe

Guest cmctighe

Hi all,

I'm a writer on contract to write a story about a British boy who enlists for World War I. He's 15 years old.

Now, it's fiction, so I'm willing to fudge a few little details, but I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on boy soldiers at the time. I've been told they were allowed to serve at home if they were 15-18, 19 to go overseas. My story takes place just prior to the Christmas truce-- I understand that everything was still voluntary up until Spring 1915. Would he need parental permission to join? Would he just need to lie about his age? Any resources you can point me towards would be so greatly appreciated. I've been doing my own research, but there's really nothing like the input and knowledge from experts and enthusiasts.

Thanks for any wisdom!

Hi

Ive just type 'Underage Soldiers' into the search box at the top right of this page and found page upon page of posts relating to your question.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ray

Richard Van Emden's book Boy Soldiers of The Great War is well worth a read

If the 15 year old enlisted August/Sept 1914, he would not have saw service overseas until mid-1915 onwards. Missing the Christmas Truce.

My Grandfather Born November 1898 enlisted August 1914 as 755 Henry Conley with 7th Battalion Rifle Brigade.

Went to France with them May 1915. Wounded and sent home August 1916. Returned to France April 1918 after service in Ireland.

This probably means there were some exceptions.

Regards John C.

A boy reached man service on 18th official birthday and received a 50% pay rise 8d to 1/- per day.

The army had many boys enlisted for the Drums, Bugles, and Trumpets, and these were specifically permitted to go on active service with CO and medical officer approval. This is specifically stated in Mobilization Regs 1914.

Boys did indeed need parental approval to enlist AS SUCH, but a strapping lad able to pursuade recruiters that he was 18 did NOT need permission or to prove birth date ............. there was every temptation because of the pay differential of course. A false date of birth stayed with a soldier throughout his career unless "claimed" by his parents, or unless commissioned, when true birth date required.

Hi, cmctighe.

Heres a young one, George Stirrat i believe became a Lieut, ( if this works out name the boy Walter after me!)

Just had this in my files never checked out properly, there is a Pte 9588 George Stirrat, Cameron Highlanders Medal card who became a

Lieut and went overseas 14/8/1914, if needed PM me with email address.

Belfast evening Telegraph Jan 1915

Britain's Youngest Recruit Private George Stirrat, Cameron Highlanders' band, who is the youngest member of the British Army at the

front, has been admitted to St Thomas's Hospital. London, suffering from a shrapnel wound in the leg.

Stirrat went out with the Expeditionary Force in August when he was 14 years of age, and he celebrated his 15th birthday on the battlefield. He is a son of the late Corporal Stirrat, Royal Scots Greys, who met his death in the battle of Dronfield on the day following that at Kimberley in the South African War.

Young Stirrat had the honour of conducting a boys' band before the King and Queen at Olympia in June 1913.

Walter

I have William Henry Mills of the 1st/5th Lincs who was fifteen when he went out with Wlateer Atkinson both of Barton. The recruiting officer didnt believe their age (Hull) but took a bribe telling them ''Just go for a walk, and when you come back, lets see if you're 18'' Unscrupulous b*******. Anyway a few injuries betwee nthem but bot survived.

Paddy as WH was known went on to play for Aston Villa transferring for the princely sum how much would it be now??? of £3000.

There is als oAlbert Harvey about whom much has ben written and may well have been from Barton too. The Barton albert Harvey was sent back to be a drill instructor in Barton. A well placed source was able to tell me that a lot of Barton ''men'' were much younger than age stated in official memorials, There is some more info at my blog. http://bartononhumberatwar.blogspot.co.uk

I understand that everything was still voluntary up until Spring 1915.

Aside from the complications of under-age enlistment, you should be aware that conscription came in spring 1916, not spring 1915.

It is often forgotten that enlistment for Boy service in teh Regular Army continued throughout the War. the attached picture is of my grandfather Boy J.W. Cassell who enlisted in the Inniskilling Dragoons on 2 February 1918 age 14 years 10 months. He served 12 years with the Inniskillings, 5/6 Dragoons and 5 Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.

post-48620-0-32855100-1345061542_thumb.j