Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Group photo: Various cap badges: Which regiments?

CarylW

This was in a group of photos passed onto me by a distant family member

Can anyone date the photo, tell me which regiments they are all in and anything else about them please

I can only guess at some of the cap badges and I'd probably be wrong!

mysterygroup.jpg

Caryl

Cant really see any great detail but looks like a mix of cavalry regiments. I think I can see 7th(Queens Own) Hussars back row no 1&2 from left and 5th(Royal Irish) Lancers middle 1st left and 17th(Duke of Cambridge`s Own) Lancers middle row 2nd & 4th from left, but stand to be corrected

Eddie

Some wear spurs and the man on right of back row has horse shoe emblem over chevrons would back up the cavalry units that Eddie has sugested.john

The 2 in the front rank on the ends are both 5th Irish Lancers. The man in the front LH centre is probably a Kings Royal Irish Hussar.

Two seated men in breeches, and puttees wound cavalry fashion ?

Cavalry School Course photo ???

Why do some of the segeants wear rank badge on right arm only, in SD ?

Thanks, all who replied. I've no idea who any of the men are, except that they were within a group of photos sent to me by a distant relation and there may be a connection with Yorkshire for one or more of the men

This is just a thought.

We definitely seem to have 5th Royal Irish Lancers, and my money is on the circular badge being 4th (Queen's Own) Hussars. The third badge (chap seated second from left, middle row) has been identified as 17th (Duke of Cambridge's Own) Lancers, but it's far from distinct.

I wonder if we're looking at the 16th (The Queen's) Lancers? It looks possible to me (as I said, it's very indistinct), and it might make sense as the three regiments formed the 3rd Cavalry Brigade throughout the war, initially in The Cavalry Division, and then in 2nd Cavalry Division.

As I said, just a thought and I throw it in for consideration.

Thanks Steven. Good to have some idea. I'm still waiting to hear back from the person who sent me a collection of photos. This was one of them. I don't think identities are known yet.. Could have been a family friend in the photo

I'll update as and when

Caryl

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like 4th Hussars, 5th Lancers and 8th Royal Irish Hussars to me. KRIH Badge:

8th_kings_royal_irish_hussars_badge.JPG

• 1 month later...

The man wearing the 'spurs' above his stripes is a 'riding instructor' ...roughrider and it looks like a sargeants mess pic ! or maybe at a remount camp