Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My two 1903 Springfields that I recently bought.

Whitedog

I just thought I'd share some photo's of my two Model 1903 Springfield rifles that I've recently bought. The rifle with the lighter stock has a barrel date of 6-18. The darker rifle, which is actually an unmodified Model 1903 Mark I made for the Pedersen Device with all of its original parts and wood, has a barrel date of 1-19. Neither of these rifles possess WWII inspection stamps or cartouches. Both are just as they came out of Springfield Armory. The bore in the 1918 dated rifle is Fine to Excellent with sharp rifling. The bore in the Mark I appears to be unfired. Both show no wear at all. Both of these rifles came with their original nickle plated brass oilers in the butt traps and 1918 dated slings. After I bought these rifles, I just had to buy 1200 rounds of Surplus M2 ball 30-06 to "just have around" in case of whatever. I bought a Model 1905 Bayonet too of course, along with an unissued Cavalry cartridge belt dated 1918 of the type that is still available here and there for a price. It has the double pouch for two 1911 Colt Auto Magazines as well as nine pockets for holding two five round clips of ammo each. I had the Colt 1911 and so figured, "why not?". Enjoy the pictures.

m121-1.jpg

m123-1.jpg

40-1.jpg

0311.jpg

039-1.jpg

m4.jpg

m2.jpg

m115.jpg

m18.jpg

75.jpg

Captain G,

Congratulations, 2 excellent rifles. I am sure you will enjoy owing them and firing them.

Do you have a photograph of the matching bayonet ?

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF. I'll take a photo tomorrow morning and post it here. Gotta hit the hay and get some much needed sleep for now. Fred

Here are some photo's of some stuff of WWI vintage. The 1911 shoulder hoster is from 1944 however, but I use it to carry my Colt around the ranch sometimes if I'm a distance from the house and any trespassing stranger might drive up the hill and think that nobody is at home and try to enter the house. You can see the manufacturing dates printed on the web gear. Various months of 1918. Even the 1911 Colt was made in that year.

m6.jpg

m14-1.jpg

m12.jpg

m7.jpg

m8.jpg

m9.jpg

m10.jpg

Captain G,

Great group of militaria, I particularly like the Colt 1911, which looks in excellent condition. Many thanks for sharing.

Regards,

LF

My Pleasure LF! :)

Thanks! It's really not much of a collection though. Just some more guns for the home. I've allways liked these WWI American firearms and especially the 1903 Springfield. My grandpa allways used to tell me how he qualified Expert on the Firing Range with one in 1918. Also, I wanted to have some firearms to shoot on our place that would also increase in collectors value over time. My wife enjoys shooting our S&W 1917 revolver in .45 acp. We got it for home defense four years ago and thankfully have only had the opportunity to use and enjoy it out in one of the pastures plinking away at logs and trees and such.

ww13.jpg

ww12.jpg

ww11.jpg

America. Don't cha just love it. I find the idea of carrying my M1911 around the garden, in case anyone come is to the house, a most attractive proposotion.

Lol, I see it as "just in case insurance". Even out here in the country, unsavory criminal types from the nearby city seek naive victims. I'd rather be left alone to just enjoy my guns in peace. However, now and then, slick salesmen who choose to disregard the "No Trespassing" signs come driving up our hill to test our resolve. Sigh... I just want to be left alone. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the photo's! Fred

Lol, I see it as "just in case insurance". Even out here in the country, unsavory criminal types from the nearby city seek naive victims. I'd rather be left alone to just enjoy my guns in peace. However, now and then, slick salesmen who choose to disregard the "No Trespassing" signs come driving up our hill to test our resolve. Sigh... I just want to be left alone. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the photo's! Fred

Fred.

Many thanks for taking the time to post up these photo's, really enjoyed them.

A 1911.... If only.

Cheers

Fred.

Many thanks for taking the time to post up these photo's, really enjoyed them.

A 1911.... If only.

Cheers

You're Very Welcome. My pleasure, and ThankYOU!