Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

crests on post card

robins2

a friend of mine just picked up this post card (refers to .303?) can anyone identify the 2 crests on bottom of card

Thanks

regards bob

FORCES_ACTING_ON_THE_BULLET_-_002.jpg?sid=&mbox=INBOX&uid=18337&number=4&filename=FORCES%20ACTING%20ON%20THE%20BULLET%20-%20002.jpg

Odd subject for a post card! The OTC might be Officers Training Corps if the card is Canadian and if there was an OTC in Canada in 1918. I expect you know that the OTC in UK operated mainly in universities and its junior division.the JTC, in public schools.

Old Tom

I was thinking the same thing, OTC, the card was purchased in UK, I imagine the other crest may be from the school/university ???

regards

Bob R.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I know what all those little scurrying and muffled giggling noises are in my display room!!!! :huh:

Nice postcard Bob and is it numbered in anyway?. Quite often such postcards came in a series or batch.

Mark

I will get my friend to scan back, he didn't mention if it was numbered?, will reply when he sends scan

regards

Bob R.

mark

heard back from friend, no #'s nothing on back of card

regards

Bob R.

Is it American? The shape of the shield is not particularly British or Commonwealth. If you look at the Indiana State University website the university's badge appears to be a 'sycamore leaf'. If you look in the corners of the badge I think you can just make out two sycamore leaves This would explain the 'I ' behind the OTC.

Regards

Greg

post-55705-0-73704000-1346824053_thumb.j

post-55705-0-66346000-1346824074_thumb.j

I managed to enlarge the crests, I do not think they are U.S. or Canadian but could be wrong??

regards

Bob R

Thanks Bob

Those are much clearer and in enlargement not sycamore leaves but grotesque faces! It does reveal however another initial ie the IC or CI OTC which may offer more clues. Personally I think the shield on the right of the picture contains the artists initials and the date of the drawing but the left hand one relates to the OTC itself. I am still not convinced it is a badge as such. The 'British' tradition is to use the 'arms' of the school, university etc. Frequently but not universally they are surmounted by a crown. There are units which use ciphers but these are often contained within a star or a garter or a laurel wreath (in Canada a wreath of maples). It may simply be an artistic representation of the initials of the OTC rather than something which was worn. Have you tried the British Badge Collectors Forum?

Greg

will give them a try

thanks for your input

regards

Bob R.