Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Hospital Chelsea 1918

CarylW

Would anyone know what the significance might have been for someone to have a stamp such as this in their pension records?

This chap had a wife and family at the time, and was still a serving soldier so I can't see him being admitted as a Chelsea pensioner, and as far as I can gather via Google, Long Long Trail and Scarletfinders, this wasn't a military hospital at the time was it?

Also discovered a thread here about the bombing of the hospital with loss of life in February 1918

Caryl

Doubtless somebody who knows a great deal more about it than me will be able to add more details, but my understanding is that all former regular army soldiers' pensions were handled by staff at the Royal Hospital Chelsea, not just those in residence there. This page on the findmypast website gives some details Click

NigelS

Many thanks Nigel. I wondered about that, although he wasn't retired to pension until 1920. But this may explain it from his pension record

Gave 13 months notice of his desire to be discharged 7.6 1917 Retained in the service under the Military serice act of 1916 (section 2)

Appointed (unpaid) L/Cpl 30.11.1917. Elected under Army Order of 1918 to draw pension while still serving.

However, I hadn't realised that those records were online at FMP and I've just found the pension record of my great-grandfather who retired in 1880 there! That was a good start to the day

Chuffed to bits, to put it mildly, so thanks again

Caryl

There is (today) a functioning post office and post box within the grounds of the Royal Hospital Chelsea, so it could be that the letter was posted in the post box (hence the post mark) even though there was no actual connection to the Royal Hospital.

Moriaty

There is (today) a functioning post office and post box within the grounds of the Royal Hospital Chelsea, so it could be that the letter was posted in the post box (hence the post mark) even though there was no actual connection to the Royal Hospital.

Moriaty

Hi, the stamp was on a page within a pension record. Thanks for your interest

Caryl