Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A really Turked Peabody 1874

trajan

Sometimes.when viewing the very few bayonets that come up for sale over here, I am reminded of the Monthy Python Parrot sketch, albeit along the lines of "This is not a Turkish bayonet, it is a Turked bayonet! it is less than a shadow of its former self! it is no longer a proper pointy thing! It is not pining for a home because it is too far gone!"....

And so it is with this one... Once upon a time it was a nice Peabody 1874 yataghan bayonet. And then it was 'Turked' (= shortened) in the first phase of 'Turking' bayonets (probably a decade either side of 1900)... :blink: And then it was 'Turked' again, to make a nice carving knife... :( Ah well, I suppose I could get it for the Xmas Day bird...??? It does have the original leather grips! :thumbsup:

Trajan

post-69449-0-21225000-1344269108_thumb.j

post-69449-0-31856500-1344269132_thumb.j

Purely out of interest, the "Peabody" - is that a manufacturer? If so, was he anything to do with the Peabody Trust which established working-class dwellings in London?

Purely out of interest, the "Peabody" - is that a manufacturer? If so, was he anything to do with the Peabody Trust which established working-class dwellings in London?

Peabody was the patented design which was used in the manufacture of the Peabody-Martini rifles, which were made for the Turks by the Providence Tool Co. of Rhode Island, USA.

Cheers, S>S