Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional or Brigade Patch?

Lyndon

This really isn't my field so any help is greatly received!! Can anyone tell me what the badge on the top of this mans arm is? I can make out the 4..... And I suspect that it is a Divisional or Brigade badge but to whom? The man is from the 1st/8th London Regiment.

Many thanks in advance!

post-12577-0-67479800-1344266891_thumb.j

I would hazard a guess that it is the 4th division. A batallion of the Rifle Brigade were part of that division. Hoever in later wars the 4th division had a different insignia.

Old Tom

Is it 4 th brigade flash? LLT has 1/8 as part of 4 Bde/2 div??

4th Division in the Great War was a stylised ram's head; and absolutely, definitely not a 4.

1/8th Post Office were in 140th Bde, 47th (2nd London) Division and wore a yellow club.

I would put my house on the 1/8th NOT wearing battle patches as part of 4th Bde, 2nd London in the 1914 - Spring 1915 period.

Perhaps one of the 4th Training Reserve Brigade battalions, which did include some rifles.

Cheers,

GT.

Now you mention it GT, I recently saw a picture of a soldier with a 3 badge in the same position and he was from the 3rd Training Reserve Brigade. Thinking about it now.... the penny should of dropped then! Pass me the revolver! :lol:

Many thanks to everyone who posted.

Lyndon