Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great War in East Africa Association

Chris_Baker

Anyone else having problems registering?

H Kate, i tried to register earlier this evening and the registration process appears to be suspended. No reason given.

There must be a technical hitch, I've informed Anne Samson.

We had a good & useful conference last month at the National Archives.

Harry

Dear all

Thanks Harry for alerting me to this post - I'm currently in Tanzania with limited internet connection.

Chris - your notification has come through to me for approval and I'll do the necessary this morning whilst on line.

Johnathan, Kate and others - I'm not sure why you can't register and I'll look into this. In the meantime, please email me (thesamsonsed@gmail.com) what you would like your username to be and your surname as well as a blurb to put on the membership page (this is optional although very useful for linking people together). I'll investigate once I'm back in the UK and post another update.

I'll also be posting the long awaited update on the conference, which was a great success.

Please accept my apologies for the the difficulties and for drawing attention to the issue.

Kind regards

Anne

Co-ordinator, GWEAA

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi. I am a new member of the forum. I am interested in any information about the Rhodesia Native Regiment and about Lieutenant-Colonel James Allin Methuen, who was responsible for erecting a huge stone cross memorial to African soldiers who gave their lives in the Great War, on a kopje dominating the town of Umtali (now Mutare, Zimbabwe) in 1924. It wasn't entirely a popular cause among the white community, and he was reprimanded by the governor for doing it. But he stuck to his guns and got Umtali's mayor to unveil the cross and the 69-year-old bishop of Southern Rhodesia to do the steep climb and hold a memorial service at the top. If anyone knows any descendants of this unusual and brave man, I would like to get in touch. I know the outline of his military service, including his time with the 18th Northumberland Fusiliers, but he seems to vanish after 1948 - when he erected (not clear exactly where) a stone monument to Chief Kadzima Mutasa, the then-recently-deceased head of the Manyika people. He sounds like my kind of guy!

Cliff

Greetings

Page 142 of Timothy J. Stapleton's No Insignificent Part. The Rhodesia Native Regiment and the East African Campaign of the First World War (Wilfred Laurier University Press) decsribes the incident.

Harry

Hello Harry, I knew it must have been detailed in the book. I will go and have another read myself!

Cheers Shirley

Ps are you off on any interesting trips?

Welcome to the forum Cliff, and good luck with you research.

Thank you, Harry. I had read that page of Stapleton's book, but I am looking to dig a bit deeper into Lt.-Col. Methuen's character and motivation. Stapleton's outline confirms the broad strokes of a story I first heard back in the early sixties, but didn't follow up on. Got interested again when someone on a web site I follow gave inaccurate information and I felt obliged to correct it. Nice bit of irony is that Mutare (Umtali) today still has a junior school named after the unsympathetic governor... and it is still bypassed by Methuen Road. Any leads about Methuen's descendants, or more details of his service in German SWA (Namibia) would be gratefully received.

Shirley - thanks for your welcome, too.

Cliff

There are some GSWA experts on this Forum.

I suggest that you re-post a specific GSWA question about Methuen, making sure that GSWA is in the thread title.

Harry

Thanks for the advice, Harry. Will do.

• 8 months later...

Dear all

you may be interested to know that the Great War in East Africa Association has expanded to cover the whole of Africa and has been renamed the Great War in Africa Association. The URL remains the same - www.gweaa. com.

We're also having our second conference on Saturday 9 November 2013 if you haven't yet heard. Details and the programme are on www.gweaa.com.

Best wishes

Anne

• 1 month later...

This is very interesting, and much needed to further the scholarship of the Great War in Africa! I look forward to registering and joining the discussion as this is an aspect of the Great War that fascinates me. Just curious, are there future plans to develop the association even further such as producing a journal, membership dues, etc.?

Thanks for the feedback.

The intention for the near future is to keep the Association free to enable as much sharing of information as possible.

We are in the process of producing a publication of the last 2 conference proceedings and hope that this will be available in 2014. Our next conference is scheduled to take place in Lisbon in mid-July 2014 and details will be posted here as well as on the website and elsewhere.

We look forward to you joining us on www.gweaa.com - any problems, let me know.

best wishes

Anne