Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could anybody possible identify the army dress uniform.

white1

hello and good morninmg all.

well i hope you all had a great weekend and i hope you have clear heads as I need a little help again identifying a uniform and regiment. Please see the attached photo and let me know what you think.

I think looking at the Cap that the badge looks like a horn.???? So I'm thinking it could be Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry.???

hus.jpg

Hi,

Although I cannot be certain this uniform, judging by the braiding, has the look of a cavalry or yeomanry regiment.

Can you enlarge the cap?

Just seen your posting--I wouldn't think that it is Royal Fusiliers--but Hussars are a possibility.

Robert

Looking at the badge again I don't think it is 8th Hussars--but looks more like 7th Dragoon Guards? Any chance of a close up of the hat?

Hi,

Although the picture is quite poor, I still feel that 7th Dragoon Guards is most likely--hopefully this fits with the uniform.

Do you have a name for this soldier? If so it may be possible to identify him from an MIC and confirm or otherwise his unit.

Robert

The braiding is definitely Hussars (which could include some of the Yeomanry regiments who dressed thus). Dragoon Guards did not have that kind of braid - or indeed any braid, except on officers' "patrol jackets", which this isn't.

Ron

I'm no uniform expert, but I'd say the badge, if an Hussar regiment, would most closely resemble that of the 8th (King's Royal Irish)Hussars.

• 1 month later...

Gunner ?

I'm no uniform expert, but I'd say the badge, if an Hussar regiment, would most closely resemble that of the 8th (King's Royal Irish)Hussars.

Yep - going with Hussars. Need to home in on his cap & collar badges for a clearer idea of which Hussar unit - certainly not Artillery.

Gunner ?

I think not - RHA jackets were braided, but not like that (more braids, closer together).

Ron

I agree with Steven that the outline shape of the badge fits best with the 8th KRIH. He is most definitely wearing a Hussars dolman.

• 2 months later...

It's an odd thing, but the original poster hasn't popped along to say thank you to anyone, or add any information in four months, yet when Kate posted at 1.49 this afternoon, his/her profile satetd that he/she was active on the Forum.

Maybe he/she has forgotten this thread.

I believe he is busy answering questions on a pretty active topic.

Steve.

What vintage is this photo?

It would most likely be between 1906-07 (when the peaked cap that you see was introduced) and 1914, when full dress was withdrawn, Kate.

Something that might help with the process of elimination.

If one was to consider the Yeomanry Regiments designated as Hussars (29 Regiments) there is in my opinion a possibility that this is the Lancashire (Yeomanry) Hussars (which was my knee-jerk reaction when seeing the photo). The cap-badge is a large red rose of Lancaster. Below, a scroll inscribed Lancashire Hussars. There are examples in gilding metal and also in white metal. KK ref is 1471 and 1472. To my eyes the cap badge has a lower scroll that is more prominent than the 8th (King's Royal Irish) Hussars. Just a thought.

The only caveat is that their overalls were blue with two white stripes (in 1911). The choices for stripes were generally white, yellow or scarlet. I understand that yellow in old photos can appear much darker, but the stripes in the photo look really dark and I suspect are scarlet. We might get some clues from the dark stripe in his overalls. There is an illustration in 'British Hussar Regiments 1805-1914' by A H Bowling showing an 8th Hussar Sgt with yellow stripes on his overalls. I am sure dress regs will shine some light on this aspect. If we take an approach on the colour of the overall stripe, it might provide some alternatives

The rather helpful "Uniforms of the British yeomanry forces 1794 to 1914. 10: The Yeomanry Force at the 1911 Coronation" by R J Smith and R G Harris provides details on the uniforms. Here is the list of all Yeomanry Regiments classified under Hussars and the colour of their overalls and stripes worn at the Coronation..

Yeomanry Regiments with Red Stripes

Denbighshire Hussars - Blue with double scarlet stripes.......................cap badge was POW plumes coronet and motto

Royal Bucks Hussars - Dark blue with double scarlet stripes................cap bade: Circlet surmounted by a crown. Within the circlet a swan. Below a scroll

Worcestershire Hussars - Blue with double scarlet stripes....................cap badge: within a laurel wreath surmonted by a crown, a sprig of pear blossom

Leicestershire Yeomanry - Blue with double scarlet stripes...................Cap badges: LY within a laurel... Crest of the Prince Consort with scroll above

Staffordshire (Queen's Own R Regt) - Blue with double scarlet stripes..cap badge: Staffordshire know surmounted by a crown.

Yeomanry regiments with Yellow Stripes

Royal Gloucestershire Hussars - Badminton Blue with double yellow stripes........cap badge portcullis with chains surmounted by a ducal coronet. Below, a three part scroll.

Sharpshooters - Bark blue/green with double yellow stripes.................................cap badge crowned circlet over crossed rifles. Within: figure 3.

South Notts Hussars - Blue with double yellow stripes...........................................cap badge: a slip of oak with an acorn

Notts (Sherwood Rangers) - Green with double yellow stripes..............................cap badge Stringed bugle.

Yeomanry regiments with White Stripes - I think we can safely eliminate these as white would presumably still appear much lighter than in the photo.

Cheshire Yeomanry (Earl of Chester's) - Blue with double white stripes

Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry - Blue with double white stripes

Royal North Devon Hussars - Blue with double white stripes

Queen's Own Dorsetshire Yeomanry - Blue with double white stripes

Queen's Own West Kent Yeomary - Blue with double white stripes

Lancashire Hussars - Blue with double white stripes..............which might eliminate my theory above.

Northumberland Hussars - Blue with double white stripes

Pembroke (Castlemartin) Yeomanry - Blue with broad single white stripe

Westmoreland and Cumberland Hussars - Blue with double white stripes

West Somerset Yeomanry - Blue with double white stripes

Warwickshire Yeomanry - Blue with double white stripes

Royal Wiltshire Hussars - Blue with double white stripes

Yorkshire Hussars - Blue with broad single white stripe

Other Yeomanry Regiments designated as Hussars

Middlesex Hussars - Blue - no detail on stripe.

Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars - no details

Loyal Suffolk Hussars - Green

Ayrshire Yeomanry (Earl of Carrick's Own Hussars - Khaki with red piping.

Royal East Kent MR - Rifle green with single black stripe

North Irish Horse - black with white stripe. Note details suggest not Hussar uniform at the Coronation..., however the cap badge was almost identical to the 8th KRIH

South Irish horse - green with double scarlet stripes. Note details suggest not Hussar uniform

Regards MG