Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Usage of Rifle Grenades in 1915

Latze

Hi,

I found this quote about the experience of 46th division battle of Loos

"bomb supply proved utterly useless consisting of rifle grenades without rods, and old bombs of all patterns, and the result was a shortage of bombs after the attack at a time of urgent need, which had most serious consequences" (sorry, I cannot give an exact source at the moment).

The rifle grenades could have been either the Hale type or Newton-Pippin BUT: where these ever intended to be used this way or was this tried before? To ask it differently, is anybody aware of an instance of rifle grenades (not Mill's bombs used as rifle grenades) used as hand grenades (or 'bombs' in the parlance of the day)?

regards

Matt

I'm sure that you already know that the Newton Pippin Rifle Grenade which in it's original form flew pointed end first, had a Hand Pattern which looked very similar but lacked the fitting for the rod. It was armed by striking the striker cap on something such as a rifle butt before throwing, lighting a five second delay fuze. The rifle pattern was similar but having a 15-inch rod and lacking the delay exploded when it struck the ground. (It's derivative, the official Number 22 Mk I Rifle Grenade, now flying blunt end first, was fitted with a larger and heavier cap and sometimes burst on discharge!) The Hand Pattern was rare, only about 80,000 made. The early Rifle Pattern seems fairly common and 'blinds' could at one time be found on the Somme. Some No.2 Grenades were fitted with a rope tail for use as hand patterns but these were not common; nor were the rodded version. I can't see the Number 3 Mk I being used as a hand grenade because of the safety sleeve and bolts. Certainly there was a shortage of grenades at Loos - the Mills had appeared as early as March in pre- production form but was still getting into it's stride in September. This led to the issue of the Number 15 and 16 grenades which failed due to the brassards on which the Brock igniters were struck getting damp. From your description I would think the writer was describing Newton Pippin Hand Patterns and the Numbers 15 and 16. I have found both the latter as blinds at the Hohenzollern in years gone by. Trust this is of some assistance. - SW

Hi Sommewalker,

to be honest I was not aware of the hand pattern of the Newton Pippin... If I read it somewhere it did not register. Thank you very much for your thoughts/theory on this it definitely solves the mystery for me!

regards

Matt