Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Luxembourg Commemoration medal

healdav

This is a very long shot, but does anyone either have or know where I can procure or borrow, an example of the Luxembourg Medal of Commemoration which was struck at the end of the war for display in an exhibition of World War One in 2014.

It was awarded, in theory, to all those Luxembourgers who had served in any of the allied armies during the war.

Unfortunately, no examples of the medal seem to exist in the country (certainly not in official archives), and I and other members of the 2014 organising committee have utterly failed to trace any example in private hands in the country. Most of these medals were awarded to expatriates, so there could be examples pretty much anywhere in Europe or even the world (especially the USA).

Any help would be appreciated. Even a decent photograph would be an advance - at present all we have is the original design from the National Archives.

A second point is that we are looking for some information on the order in which medals should be cited. The complication is that many Luxembourg sodliers had medals or mentions from two or even three armies. Is there a laid down order for citing, say, a Belgian Médaille Militaire 2e Classe and French Médaille Militaire and a DSO?

Hi Dave,

Have you tried Jean Dauphin at the museum at Latour ? I know it's mainly August 1914 related but he may be able to help.

Hi Dave,

Have you tried Jean Dauphin at the museum at Latour ? I know it's mainly August 1914 related but he may be able to help.

Nothing at all. A public appeal here turned up nothing as well, hence the appeal here.