Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Cross ' Miniature ' 8 medal grouping.

Lancashire Fusilier

I recently posted photographs of a rare WW1 Military Cross 8 medal grouping from my Collection, and I am now pleased to share another item from my Collection, a rare Military Cross 8 medal grouping in ' miniature ' size, as worn with Mess Dress, Evening Mess Dress or Formal Civilian Dress when the wearing of a uniform is not appropriate or authorized.

Miniature medals are typically one half the size of the originals, and this particular set is extremely fine having been expertly crafted in silver by Royal Court Jewelers, Mappin and Webb of Regent Street, London.

The 8 medal Swing Mounted grouping consists of, from left to right :-

A King George V Military Cross.

The British War Medal.

The Victory Medal with a Mentioned in Dispatches ( MID ) emblem attached.

The KGV India General Service Medal with 2 Clasps attached - Waziristan 1921-24 and Afghanistan N.W.F 1919.

The KGV General Service Medal 1918 with The N.W. Persia Clasp attached.

The KGVI India General Service Medal 1936-39 with the North West Frontier 1936-37 Clasp attached.

The KGVI Defence Medal.

The KGVI 1939-45 War Medal.

The obverse and reverse of the miniature medals are identical to the full size medals in every detail at one half the size of the full-size medal.

All the medals have their original ribbons, and the set is housed in the original velvet lined Mappin and Webb custom fitted leather and gold embossed case.

Due to the rare and unusual combination of the awards, I am hoping to eventually identify the person to whom the medals were awarded.

LF

post-63666-0-41338400-1344168667_thumb.j

post-63666-0-34955600-1344168680_thumb.j

post-63666-0-07973600-1344168696_thumb.j

The place to start would be with the NW Persia clasp as only a relatively small number of them were issued. He was not an RA officer, as only 11 single NW Persia clasps were awarded to RA officers and none of those officers had the combination of medals in your group. Dick Flory

The place to start would be with the NW Persia clasp as only a relatively small number of them were issued. He was not an RA officer, as only 11 single NW Persia clasps were awarded to RA officers and none of those officers had the combination of medals in your group. Dick Flory

Dick,

Many thanks for that excellent information.

Regards,

LF

hopefully the Persia roll will show the MC after the name - I would assume its a WW1 for the purpose of the search

Dont forget he may not be a commissioned officer but more than likely

hopefully the Persia roll will show the MC after the name - I would assume its a WW1 for the purpose of the search

Dont forget he may not be a commissioned officer but more than likely

Many thanks for the excellent suggestion.

I am assuming the KGV Military Cross was awarded during WW1, and I am now researching the N.W. Persia Clasp as not too many were issued.

Regards,

LF