Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying Regiment from Photograph

bubblegum

Hi, I wonder if anyone may be able to assist in any information regarding this photograph.

Unfortunately its not in the best of condition when we found it, it was in the back of another frame and the backing of the other photo had stuck to the front of this one so we have carefully peeled as much as we can.

The family think it maybe William Alfred Knight who was killed in action in WW1 in 1917 but we have no way of knowing and are hoping someone maybe able to work out the cap badge that may help us identify this soldier.

Thank you for any help that is given

Ros

post-91476-0-70782200-1344083395_thumb.j

post-91476-0-56235800-1344083452_thumb.j

Hi, I wonder if anyone may be able to assist in any information regarding this photograph.

Unfortunately its not in the best of condition when we found it, it was in the back of another frame and the backing of the other photo had stuck to the front of this one so we have carefully peeled as much as we can.

The family think it maybe William Alfred Knight who was killed in action in WW1 in 1917 but we have no way of knowing and are hoping someone maybe able to work out the cap badge that may help us identify this soldier.

Thank you for any help that is given

Ros

Ros

Any more information on the man? What part of the country he was from?

I'd say Queens Reg with the Flag above the Lamb.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I would presume he was a londoner as that is where the family are from, on the back of the photograph it has ansell 10668 scribbled on it .... i don't know if this refers to the soldier or just the name and order number from the photographer.

Ros

The Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regt is the regt that William Alfred Knight served in and I would agree with Simon that the picture is of this regiment. Ralph.

S/523 William Alfred Knight born Alton Hants, enlisted Guildford Surrey, resided Farnham Surrey kia 21-5-1915.

Ok Ive just got my husband to go in the loft and get his medals and they say 35455 Royal Fusiliers so i guess this picture isn't him so maybe his brother Leonard who we know nothing about at all, apart from the family story that Leonard was coming off the front line as his brother was going on just before William was killed.

Its a large Picture and when we found it, so were guessing it was a very important person in the family it was in the back of a picture of my father in law and his brother as babies so we think they reused the frame but that means that this soldier could be a Knight or a Peare.

The only Peare of the right age would be Robert John Peare

The only Knights would be Leonard Leopald A B Knight unknown regiment or Cecil Clarence Claude Hamilton Knight who we have managed to find out was in the Essex Regiment.

Thanks for all your help so far I will keep looking through the box and see if there are any more clues

Ros