Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P14 usage

Noyes16

Dear All,

Just got an Edystone P14 for my birthday that still has the volley sites and so hasn't been altered to Weedon Repair Standards. It has the serial number 153808. Can anyone tell me if P14's were ever used by front line troops or only by snipers and during training? Also, was the 'fatso' stock exclusive to the Edystone P14's?

Many thanks,

Robin

Robin

If you do a search of the forum for P14 or "Pattern 14" you will find lots of discussion of these issues. (and pictures)

The short answers are

1) Probably not front line except possibly in very limited numbers in 1918 by snipers, yes some use by training units in the UK. Many went straight into store. Some went straight to India (the source of lots of recent imports into the US) many were supplied post war to the Baltic states.

2) Probably although there is some suggestion that funiture was supplied from Eddystone to other manufacturers (although the fatso was exclusively manufactured by Eddystone)

Is the rifle a MkI or a MkI* (look on the receiver ring and bolt handle for the * stamp)

Does it have any markings on the right side of the stock?

TonyE can probably give you an acceptance date for the rifle.

Chris

Chris,

There are no * stamps anywhere on the rifle so I'm guessing its a MkI. There is writing and a circle on the right side of the stock but the writing is very faint and can't be read.

Robin

ERA 153808 would have been accepted by British inspectors at the factory in week ending 30 December 1916. Allowing for a slight lag between manufacture and inspection it may have been made a week or so before that.

The butt cartouche should be a circle with "IE" inside with a Broad Arrow above and and "PATT.14" below, as in my Winchester example.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-03447300-1344108632_thumb.jp