Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vickers machine gun plans

deano

Are there any free plans out there or does anyone have any they would let me have. Want to build a decent small replica for my son to rat'a'tat tat' in the garden!

Had a go at a very small one last year using bits from the shed!! But want to do a better job now.

post-17978-0-34766400-1344072931_thumb.j

post-17978-0-00344900-1344072946_thumb.j

post-17978-0-06158200-1344072961_thumb.j

Dean.

Only plans readily available are the Armourers instructions that are to scale. Let me know your email address and I'll send them over.

Regards

Richard

PM sent Richard, thanks muchly.

Dean.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a complete set of VSM factory manufacturer drawings, all dated 1915 with an awful lot of inspector stamps, etc on large vellum paper. These have the acceptance stamps by Colt as these were sent to the USA to initiate their own vickers production. They have been 'received' by Colt due to acceptanc emarkings!! Rather rare and special I guess as a complete set and show all dimensions and accessories needed for the WWI vickers MG. When not whizzing around the world I will contact our National Museums and see if of interest. Anyway if there is one particular area or piece you need then let me know and I will see what page it is on.

Mark

Is it not now illegal to build something like that in the UK, unless one paints it bright orange? ( Violent Crime Reduction Act, section 36)

I'm not sure but it might be worth checking?

Don't scare the horses. Section 36 of VCRA needs to be read in conjunction with section 38 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/38 As long as it's distinguishable from the real thing, size and shape as well as colour being the main things then there isn't an offence. How the average person, for the purposes of s38, differentiates between a full size Vickers and toy one is anyone's guess though.

As long as what you build is nowhere near full size there isn't going to be a problem.

As long as what you build is nowhere near full size there isn't going to be a problem.

There was a case a while ago where a woman was taking a scale model of a Brish soldier overseas. The model soldier was holding (I think) an SA80 rifle that was fully4 inches long. The customs numpty at Heathrow insisted that the 'gun' be broken off the model and packed in a suitcase. Officials in the UK have zero knowledge of firearms and a minus zero level of common sense.

John

• 1 year later...

Hi

The Sherwood Ranger Yeomanry Ass ( my regiment) have formed a community group within the local area of our drill hall to commemorate the anniversary of WW1. We have linked up with the Carlton Central Junior School and we plan to build a trench at the back of the school and a MC Gun would be a brilliant extra. I run a small engineering workshop so we can knock up pretty much anything. If any drgs are available then I would be most grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk take a look under manuals and then armour eras and parts lists. You'll find some scale drawings there.

Richard

Is it not now illegal to build something like that in the UK, unless one paints it bright orange? ( Violent Crime Reduction Act, section 36)

I'm not sure but it might be worth checking?

Wonder if carry it in public in those states which allow open carry.....>

I suppose you could build a small scale replica firing .22 rounds!!

It could be done, legally, but would have to be restricted to single shot or semi-auto. (Still legal to have a semi-auto .22RF in UK) but barrel and overall dimensions would need to be in excess of s.5(1)(aba) of the 1968 Firearms Act (as amended by the 1997 Firearms (Amendment)(No 2) Act. In simple terms, barrel length 12 inches, overall length of gun 24 inches.

Some years ago a chap in Essex built a scale model of a Gatling, firing .22 self-contained air cartridge rounds (SCACS - what were colloquially known as "Brococks"). There was a hoo-ha about whether the Gatling action was "automatic" within the context of s.5(1)(a), but it was held that the replica was lawful, and as an "air" gun developing less than 12 ft/lb of muzzle energy it did not require certification.

However, all SCACS were subsequently prohibited and cannot now be sold or acquired, though persons who were in previous possession were allowed to retain on a Firearm Certificate.