Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HELP PLEASE. WW1 Uniform Identification for Regiment.

white1

please see the attached WWI photo and i would like to know if anyone can help identify what regiment he was from. The owner of the pic thinks he was in the Royal Cycle Corp.????? looking closely i think the badge is from the Devonshire and Dorset Reg.???

harry.jpg

• Admin

I don't think Devon or Dorset and not CyclistCorps either? Maybe Cambridgeshire Regiment?

Michelle

Essex Regiment?

Royal Irish Regiment? Arms of Nassau surmounting a scroll inscribed Virtutis Namurcensis Virtotis?

Hi White 1,

Welcome to the Forum.

I rather think that Essex Regt would be my favourite--I'm pretty certain that it is not the Royal Irish Regt. Any chance of a close up of his collar badge/s.

Robert

I have just rooted out a photo of an Essex officer, and now I am 99% certain that these are the same collars :thumbsup:

Also the 8th(T)Bn Essex Regt was a Cyclists battalion, if you have his name then it may be possible to prove this man served with them.

Robert

I have just rooted out a photo of an Essex officer, and now I am 99% certain that these are the same collars :thumbsup:

Also the 8th(T)Bn Essex Regt was a Cyclists battalion, if you have his name then it may be possible to prove this man served with them.

Robert

old Owl i think i will have top agree with you. upon looing at other pics of essex officers they collar badges seem very alike, also as u say they had a cycle battalion and the family who own the pic say they remember being told about him on bike during the war. I hope this helps them out with the genealogy search and i would like to THANK YOU ALL for all your help .

Since your so good at this Im about to post another pic i need help with. Sorry :-)