Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remains of French Soldier Found While Gardening in Soupir

ph0ebus

Thought some people might appreciate a translation and I am on holiday tonight

Mags

He discovered remains while gardening.

A burial is planned in the necropolis located near the site of the discovery.

Soupir (Aisne) An inhabitant of Soupir got a shock when he unburied all the bones of a skeleton, which could perhaps be a French soldier from 1914-1918.

Killed while keeping a lookout. Maybe that is what happened to a soldier during the First World War, whose remains have stayed there all that time in the garden of an inhabitant of Soupir.

The latter certainly didn't expect to make such a discovery which digging this piece of land. He first noticed a bone sticking out of the ground on Wednesday, before digging more deeply and bringing the almost whole skeleton to the light of day. He immediately informed the Gendarmes, the findings and necessary steps were taken especially with the arrive of the coroner Even the National Office for War Veterans (OFAC) has been informed as a certain number of elements have led to believe that the bones belong to a man having fought during the First World War.

The presence near the remains of a Lebel rifle, used during this conflict, is a clue leading up this track. Uniform buttons have also been discovered as well as a billy can with a knife and fork and a ration tin. The close proximity of the Chemin de Dames, theatre of much fighting, during this year, also leads us to believe this. cartridges and a fired shell were also found near the man.

Medal and coins

It is very likely that as this soldier is unknown, that in the near future he will be buried in the necropolis located in the commune. That is what the War Cemetery centre in Metz told us, where it was pointed out to us that the discovery is very recent. An inquiry and research could be carried out to try and establish his identity. The remains could be placed in a shrine before burial in the ossuary and the whole of the legal procedure has been respected.

Meanwhile more digging has permitted the discovery of a medal showing on one side the French Republic and on the other indications reminding the Moroccan campaign, which took place just before the Great War. Coins have also been found, also bearing the stamp of The French Republic and one dating back to the Second Empire.Remains to be seen whether this soldier lived during the Napoleon III period or whether he carried this coin as a good luck charm. We can in any case imagine that this man, found in this spot, situated on high ground with good visibility, could have belonged to the colonial Army. Why not a Moroccan sharpshooter.

So very little coverage of finds like these. Many thanks for sharing this, and to Mags, for translating it for me. Had I been left to my own devices I would have understood about 1% of the article.

No matter what flag this soldier served and deid under, in death they are all the same. R.I.P.