Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flare gun ammunition

yperman

Could someone advise me please?

I've recently bought a deactivated Webley Flare Gun (1918 Mark 111). I am now looking for an example of an inert round to go with it. Were Very Flares fired from Webleys? - or did they have their own rounds?

All help gratefully received!

Yperman

Webley Mark III signal pistols fired the standard 1 inch round that stayed in service right through WW2.

I will post a couple of pictures later.

BTW, I have a 1917 proof round loaded with lead shot if you want it re-proofed! :whistle:

Regardss

TonyE

TonyE,

Thank you very much once again!

Yperman

Here are a couple of pictures of the proof round.

The coloured signal cartridges would look very similar except they would have a coloured stripe around the case to denote signal colour and the top wad would also be coloured. The rim would be wholly or partly serrated for touch at night.

This image of a red smoke parachute flare is not mine, it was lifted from another web site. Very few WWI signal cartridges have survived, partly because most were made of cardboard like a normal shot gun cartridge, although some early ones were all brass.

WW2 ones look very similar and are easier to find. Modern ones would also fit but they are made of aluminium!

Others may have better pictures but I do not really collect signal cartridges.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-60758600-1343820796_thumb.jp

post-8515-0-60818500-1343820804_thumb.jp

post-8515-0-53587100-1343820928_thumb.jp

post-8515-0-05535700-1343820937_thumb.jp

Many thanks - it's incredible to think any cardboard cartridges could survive this long.

Regards, Yperman

Hi TonyE

Depends what you mean by 'modern' cartridges. When I was in the RAF on battlefield support helicopters (Wessex) in the 1978-81, we had a Very pistol in the back (Webley I think) dated 1944, the 9 cartridges (3 Red, 3 Green and 3 Yellow I think) were all cardboard. On the B/F one of the tasks I had to do was check the pistol worked and there was no sign of dampness on the cartridges, these were kept in a metal box on the left rear bulkhead with the pistol on a holster next to it. In the RE.8 the Very light cartridges were kept in a wooden box (10 cartridges) in the front cockpit with the Very pistol in a canvas holster. From documentation I don't remember any major problems with the cartridges in the RFC although it appears the Americans had some problems with cartridge failures for some reason.

Mike

I think the aluminium signal cartridges started appearing in British service in the 1980s, so I am not surprised the RAF still had normal cardboard cased rounds at that date. Provided they were kept dry, there are no problems, after all, they served well foreighty years or so!

Regards

TonyE

Just had a ferret in my cabinet and pulled out a tin which had " 3 cartridges 1" signal green L4A1 CY105 11-67" written in green and an embossed triangle on the lid. I know that it had aluminium cartridges in it. Also just remembered another tin dated 7-69 with 1" Illuminating L3A1 and a raised dot on the lid for night recognition this had alloy cartridges as well.

regards

John