Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Charles Hutcheon, 1st ANZAC cyclist coy

bartensabien

My brother found an engraved 4.5 inch shell on a local flea market (in Belgium)

The shell was made for or by the Austrialian n°1704, Pte Charles Hutcheon from Rockhampton, Australia.

I would like to find out more about this men but I have no experience with researching the history of (a member of) the Australian Imperial Force.

After some googling I found his service records on recordsearch.naa.au.

But I have a few questions;

- Are the war diaries for the Australian battalions also available ? (in digital form). I would like to find out in what actions he was involved. The Shell shows Ypres, Poperinghe, France... but I would like to find more details.

- Would I be able to trace his family in Australie ? In his records I found an address in Rockhampton and an address in New Farm, Brisbane, QLD. Are there Australian website where I can look for descandants ?

Any tip on how to find more about this man are very welcome.

Bart

post-23831-0-36288300-1343771417_thumb.j

post-23831-0-86785600-1343771488_thumb.j

Hi Bart,

According to family trees on Ancestry, he married Doris Kemp on 3/11/1914 and Lillian Beatrice Dennis 10/3/1924, and died 4/6/1945 in Lutwyche, Brisbane.

The below is from The Morning Bulletin, Rockhampton,

DEATH NOTICE

HUTCHEON-At Brisbane, on June 4,

Charles Hutcheon il3th FAB 2nd A.LH 1st Alf). His remains wera interred

at tfae Lutwyche Cemetery, June 6. after Service at the Presbyterian Church, Richmond st. Kedron.

I couldn't find any mention of any direct descendants,

thank you !!

the search continues....

One day, I hope to find a picture of him.

Regards,

BArt

• Admin

Hi Bart

From the Brisbane City Council website, I have found an aerial photo of where he is buried.

The open area is mostly Military burials for men who did not qualify for CWGC headstones. They are either ex-servicemen whose family could not be traced or the family chose to bury him with his service mates. To the left of the arrow is an area that is a bit more closed in....that is the official VWGC Cemetery.

My family lived close to there and I'll be going to Brisbane in February so if you PM me in JAnuary, I'll get a photo for you.

Incidentally, also under the arrow is the grave of William Edward "Billy" Sing DCM, Belgian Croix De Gue and several Mentions in Despatches. He was a very good shot with a rifle and was an important part of stopping MG nests at Polygon Wood to allow the infantry to keep going.

Regards

Glen

post-32914-0-64270400-1343889927_thumb.j

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your offer. I will mail you in January for the picture.

Did you forget to add the aerial photo of where he is buried ? or am I missing something here ?

regards,

Bart

this looks clear to me: according the books I've read, all men liked the nurses, the nurses were the boy's best friend.

Did Charles liked one in particular ? and had her picture engraved in the shell ?

post-23831-0-60278200-1343924918_thumb.j

Charles served in the 1ste Light Horse reserve Regiment, the 4th DIV cyclist Btn and the 1st ANZAC Cyclist Bn, but I could not match the images on the shell to an australian WW1 badge.

Or am I wrong ? Or do the images represent something else ?

The first image 'advance Australia' represent the Austalian Arms, but I did not get any further.

All suggestions are more than welcome.

regards,

BArt

post-23831-0-26852700-1343925376_thumb.j

post-23831-0-60563200-1343925388_thumb.j

post-23831-0-46727900-1343925407_thumb.j

• 11 years later...

good evening ,

i was looking for the grave location of my great uncle Charles Hutcheon in Brisbane Australia ,and accidentally stumbled upon this story about the carved shell found at a flea market in Belgium .

Charles was my mothers uncle .only recently have i found his war records .

the shell story is amazing and i would be interested in corresponding with Bartensabien if possible. 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Now you have made one post, you can send a private message. Click on the username Bartensabien, this will open their profile. You can then send a private message. 

Mate,

I have the basic on him;

HUTCHEON    Charles    1704    Pte    02 LHR    11R to OS Base 11-15 to 1 LHTR 3-16 Tos 4 Div Cyc Co 4-16 to CCo/1 Anzac Cyc Bn 7-16 crimed 13-11-17 AWoL given loss 7 days pay crimed 18-11-17 AWoL given loss 14 days FP2 to Aust Corps Cyc Bn 1-18 to hosp (VD) 2-18 rtn 2-18 crimed 17-2-18 AWoL given loss 7 days pay to Gnr 50Bty/13 FAB 3-18 FGCM 11-2-19 AWoL sentenced 48 days FP2 F&B (1Sqn/15 LH (QMI) CMF 3 years) 

Plumber   age  24    Rockhampton Qld    Enl 19-1-15    RTA 8-7-19 died 4-6-45     NoK Rockhampton Qld

Like many boys in the LH and Cyc Bn's in 1918, they had to cross over to other units because of the manpower losses (in the Infantry and Artillery), and as the Cav were reduced from two LH Regts to one + one, when the Aust Corps was formed, this made some sence.

There is a book called "Cycling to war" by Ron Austin in 2008 of Slouch Hat Publications which covers this peroid and all units.

But each Div formed their own Cyc Co in Egypt, but when in France they combined into one Bn so each Co (1Div Co was ACo, so 4 Div Co was CCo) there was no 3rd Div at that time in France.

Edited by stevenbecker

46 minutes ago, stevenbecker said:

Mate,

I have the basic on him;

HUTCHEON    Charles    1704    Pte    02 LHR    11R to OS Base 11-15 to 1 LHTR 3-16 Tos 4 Div Cyc Co 4-16 to CCo/1 Anzac Cyc Bn 7-16 crimed 13-11-17 AWoL given loss 7 days pay crimed 18-11-17 AWoL given loss 14 days FP2 to Aust Corps Cyc Bn 1-18 to hosp (VD) 2-18 rtn 2-18 crimed 17-2-18 AWoL given loss 7 days pay to Gnr 50Bty/13 FAB 3-18 FGCM 11-2-19 AWoL sentenced 48 days FP2 F&B (1Sqn/15 LH (QMI) CMF 3 years) 

Plumber   age  24    Rockhampton Qld    Enl 19-1-15    RTA 8-7-19 died 4-6-45     NoK Rockhampton Qld

Like many boys in the LH and Cyc Bn's in 1918, they had to cross over to other units because of the manpower losses (in the Infantry and Artillery), and as the Cav were reduced from two LH Regts to one + one, when the Aust Corps was formed, this made some sence.

There is a book called "Cycling to war" by Ron Austin in 2008 of Slouch Hat Publications which covers this peroid and all units.

But each Div formed their own Cyc Co in Egypt, but when in France they combined into one Bn so each Co (1Div Co was ACo, so 4 Div Co was CCo) there was no 3rd Div at that time in .

morning Steve , thanks for your reply and great information. So many story to find out about .

very humbling to read . 
going AWOL must have been a common story . My grandfather on dad’s side had a fair few AWOL charges against him also . 

any way thank you for your feedback 

best regards Steve McBride 

Steve , I think I wrote in the wrong spot ,sorry 

Steve