Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying Nationality

tn.drummond

Assistance with identifying the nationality of this group please. I've really no idea bar possibly US. Apologies if I'm off date.

Many thanks

Suddery

post-53823-0-86717000-1343664887_thumb.j

Maybe Portuguese?

khaki

Thanks Khaki - thought this one had died.

Had not thought of Portugese; will have another hunt around.

Suddery

Maybe Portuguese?

khaki

Had a scoot around - pretty certain not Portugese.

Thanks for suggestion.

P'raps tropical helmet pattern may give a clue...

They may also be Belgian colonial, the 'fatigues' don't help much, however the boy soldier's uniform blouse looks close to the Belgian style. The men's caps with the low flat crown and also the tropical helmet are somewhat similar. I note that the men are wearing ankle boots/shoes? which were worn with leggings by other ranks, the leggings are probably not worn with fatigues.

regards

khaki

• 2 months later...

Gents, its my suggestion that these chaps are indeed from the USA. My reason? Its mainly the style of the peaked cap... smaller than the British SD-Cap, and very much in the styke of the late Victorian, early Edwardian US Military. Call it silly, but having lived in the USA now for several years, these chaps seem to have the same attitude / stance (no disrespect meant to anyone from the USA).

Seph.

They have the look to me of Europeans, perhaps Belgians as suggested by khaki. The man seated far right seems to be smoking a Meerschaum pipe.

Khaki, Bootnecks and Frogsmile.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The smokers are indulging in cigars, presumably from the box on the table - Cubans ???

Can't be Boers can they (post 1902) ?

Well, it's certainly a 'runner'.

Can't see a peaked cap in your link (very interesting it is too) but will cast an eye following your suggestion and see where it goes.

Many thanks

Tim

A post by chris_ baker on Portuges photo's today may be worth a look sorry but don't know how to link it but here's the title Photo exhibition on Portuguese Corps in Flanders