Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scots Glengarry badge ID please

pierssc

Hi

I'm afraid I'm not very well up on cap badges, and my research on the internet hasn't got me very far yet, so I would very much appreciate any help the learned members of the forum can give me.

I am copying a great-aunt's photo album from the period 1913-1919. Only a few of the pictures have any dates or identification. I'm interested in the regiment of the Scots officers in the attached photo. Her Fiance isn't in it - he had joined the 9th Royal Scots as a Private, and then became a 2nd Lt in the 1st Gordon Highlanders on 29th August 1915, according to his records, and the badge doesn't look like either of them. There doesn't seem to be any tartan in sight and the chaps are wearing what I think they may have called "slacks". The lady who owned the album lived in Edinburgh though some of the other photos are from places like Dunbar, Aberdeen, and Peebles - and others from further afield, presumably sent by other people.

post-91061-0-95087800-1343637053_thumb.j

One of those is entitled "Egypt 1916" which shows three officers in what appears to be desert. One of them is wearing a glengarry with what appears to be a similar badge - or possibly two badges.

post-91061-0-03165100-1343641282_thumb.j

post-91061-0-18255600-1343641166_thumb.j

I'm sorry that the quality of the images is not high enough to allow one to see much detail - the originals were quite faded. My hope is that the configuration of the badge(s) is sufficiently unusual to be able to identify them.

If I can get a clue as to the regiment, it may lead me to identify the person/subject. Many thanks for any help.

Cheers

Piers

Thanks Robert, very interesting. It looks right, and a quick look at The Long Long Trail and the Royal Highland Fusliers website suggests that they are likely to have been in the 4th or 5th Territorial battalions, which were in the 52nd (Lowland ) Division, and in Scotland until May 1915. "They disembarked at Gallipoli on June 1915 and fought there until the evacuation in January 1916. Moving to Egypt they took part in the defence of the Suez Canal against the Turks and then began to advance northwards into Palestine. Actions included Romani, Gaza, Jaffa and El Burj". So that would seem to tick the Egypt box. I'll just have to find someone in the RSF now!

Cheers

Piers

Thanks Robert, very interesting. It looks right, and a quick look at The Long Long Trail and the Royal Highland Fusliers website suggests that they are likely to have been in the 4th or 5th Territorial battalions, which were in the 52nd (Lowland ) Division, and in Scotland until May 1915. "They disembarked at Gallipoli on June 1915 and fought there until the evacuation in January 1916. Moving to Egypt they took part in the defence of the Suez Canal against the Turks and then began to advance northwards into Palestine. Actions included Romani, Gaza, Jaffa and El Burj". So that would seem to tick the Egypt box. I'll just have to find someone in the RSF now!

Cheers

Piers

Hi Piers,

Royal Scots Fusiliers should do the trick :thumbsup:

Robert

Agree with Robert. These are definitely officers of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

Thanks Gordon.

Yup, no doubt that they are RSF (see my grandad's photo in avatar or photo below - badge on right is officers', on left is other ranks'), and if Egypt 1916 is a correct inscription, then you are right in identifying the two men on the right as 4th or 5th RSF. The officer on the left of the three is not from the RSF, since he lacks the scots pattern jacket and little blackened fusiliers grenades on the lapels of the other two.

William

post-49411-0-07161400-1343670080_thumb.j

I would have a chat with Sandy Leishman who is a member of the forum, he works at the RHF RHQ in Glasgow at 518 Sauchiehall street so contact him, and he might be able to put names to photos

Rob, so sorry, I seem to have missed your posting. Thanks for the info, I'll follow that up.

William, many thanks.

Cheers

Piers

Piers,

Here is a photgraph of the WW1 Glengarry as worn by various Regiments including the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

The Glengarry is dark blue, with a red, white and green diced border, a red tuft and the usual black tails.

This example is the 1914 Sealed Pattern example, minus a badge.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-63180100-1344445993_thumb.j

Thanks LF, and you may have inadvertantly answered another question! Could you take a look at the photo in http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183281&hl= . Would you say the two supposed Royal Scots flanking the central chap had removed the badges from their caps?

Thanks LF, and you may have inadvertantly answered another question! Could you take a look at the photo in http://1914-1918.inv...topic=183281= . Would you say the two supposed Royal Scots flanking the central chap had removed the badges from their caps?

Looking at the photograph, it seems that only the silk rosettes are showing on their Glengarrys, and they may have removed their metal badges to stop them from glistening in the sun, and so avoid giving the enemy snipers a target to mark.

LF

Thank you, I wondered......