Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Identification

A-D

Can any one shed a little light on these.

I have been told that the medals are probably the QSA and KSA.

Gordon Highlanders prewar and post war.

Sgt in the middle is my Great Grandfather.

Thanks

post-86714-0-90938200-1343558306_thumb.j

Hi A-D,

The medal on the first portrait is a QSA with 5 clasps, cannot see a KSA on this picture?

The second photo really needs to be enlarged, ie. a close up of his medal ribbons which are too indistinct in this image. If you could post a close up then it should? be possible to identify these ribbons.

Robert

A pity that you cannot enlarge the image any more. Do you have the original photo?

He appears to have three? medal ribbons up, but really it is impossible to guess what these are, other than presumably one will be his QSA. If you could give his full name and date of birth, then it may be possible to check him out from other sources and hence hazard a guess at his medal entitlement.

Robert

Can any one shed a little light on these.

I have been told that the medals are probably the QSA and KSA.

Gordon Highlanders prewar and post war.

Sgt in the middle is my Great Grandfather.

Thanks

post-86714-0-90938200-1343558306_thumb.j

Interesting photo....It appears to be taken at home in the 1902-1914 period since since your G-GF is wearing full dress. He, thus, would have been serving with the 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders. His dress is enhanced by the officer style belted plaid and plaid brooch. This was likely supplied by the photographer. A Private would have worn a fly plaid that did not have a front fall as seen in this photograph. The foreign service helmet perched on the chair is also probably a photographer's prop.

Thanks for this so far.

His name is Charles Anderson, no middle names that we know of.

Two popped up while I was searching a 6439 and a 7168. I think it may be the first one as I have seen these numbers in a slightly different order.

I have the family working on the date of birth.

In the second photo he also appears to have two wound stripes.

Rob

Interesting photo.... The foreign service helmet perched on the chair is also probably a photographer's prop.

Disagree as this pattern FSH was commonly seen in photo's taken in India and in other hot weather stations or in pre-departure photo's, therefore this photo may not have been taken in the UK.

Link to one of the more brilliant photographic records of pre-war soldiering;-

http://www.soldiersofthequeen.com/India.html

Disagree as this pattern FSH was commonly seen in photo's taken in India and in other hot weather stations or in pre-departure photo's, therefore this photo may not have been taken in the UK.

Link to one of the more brilliant photographic records of pre-war soldiering;-

http://www.soldierso....com/India.html

That is interesting, thanks.

Date of birth is 08 October 1882.

Service papers exist for 7168 on Ancestry in the pensions record and dates seem to match - 18 years and 3 months old on enlistment in January 1900. Place of birth Leith. Went on the reserve in 1908. Wounded 1915,16 and 18. Married 1908 Helen, can't make out surname. Children: Helen;Annie; William.. Sgt in 1/6th Bn from 8/17, althugh initial service in France seems to have been with 2nd Bn. Home Service from wounding in March 18 3rd and 4th reserve bns

MIC indicates initial service in 1914 with 1st Bn, presumably up to 1915 wounding and also suggests MM awarded, which could help with our third medal ribbon question. 7168 has both KSA and QSA.

John