Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

silver war badge

Alibear27

I've been given the above for my birthday and was told that you can find out who it belonged to from the. number on the back (38524). Please can you confirm if this true and if so, how i go about it, please?

Was issued to Harry McKenzie 6th Battn R Warwickshire Regt s/no 5132 enlisted 1/3/16 discharged 30/7/16

Eddie

It belonged to 5132 Pte. Harry McKenzie, of the 6th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt.

Harry enlisted on 1st March 1916 and was discharged due to sickness in July, 1916. The record actually gives his date of discharge as the 36th of July! If that's a typing error it was probably either 26th or 30th.

He didn't serve overseas so he would not have been entitled to any medals for his WW1 service.

These details are available via Ancestry.com or at the National Archives, Kew.

This might be a bit of along shot but a HARRY MCKENZIE of Birmingham, born 1867,enlisted in the 3rd/RWR, 21/6/1886.

His Attestation Papers can be seen on FIND MY PAST and covers his service in the MILITIA BATT.of the ROYAL WARWICKS.

Worth a look.

corona

• 3 weeks later...

The SWB I use as my avatar is Number B250274 . It was with my father's WW1 pair. Pte A.J.M.Ronald his original unit in Scotland was A&SH but when he arrived in France in April 1918 he was transferred to the 1/7th Black Watch ( Royal Highlanders ) and all his active service was with the BW . He was wounded July 1918 and dscharged 1919. His MIC does not shown a SWB issued . I understand that it some cases SWB are listed on another index card . I would be most appreciative if anyone could confirm the SWB.

Canuk,

Confirmed SWB B250274 was issued to Pte Arthur S.M. Ronald No S/41219. - This obtained from Ancestry records

Thank you David , S/41219 was the number issued to my father when he re -badged into the Black Watch on arrival in France . Interesting that his initials should be recorded as Arthur S. M. Ronald . His full name was Arthur Johnston Moore Ronald . and his medals are both named to Pte A.J.M.Ronald . His uncle who was a Doctor serving in the RAMC was Samuel Moore Ronald although I cannot see any obvious connectionre issue of SWB.

Best wishes

Arthur