Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with badge please

submarine

Hi I am a hoping that someone can help , I am researching a Man who was a member of the ASC but attached or transferred to a Field Ambulance Unit would he have carried on wearing his ASC Cap Badge or would he have changed to the Field Ambulance ( if there is such Badge ) . My interest is more in Medals and I know little to nothing about Badges so any help please would be much appriciated .

Colin

He would more than likely have kept his ASC badge. I presume he was a driver of ambulances rather than a medic who wold have worn RAMC badges.

There is an element of "cross-dressing" noted with regard to RAMC badges however. In particular, a fair number of soldiers attached to unit [infantry] regimental aid posts do seem to have got hold of the RAMC arm badge of the Geneva Cross on circular background. Not an exact parallel of course.

Soldiers did/do like an extra badge, much as Boy Scouts.

Hi

Many thanks for help , the Man was a Driver so it looks most likely he would still be

wearing his ASC badge ,once again thank you both very much . Colin

Hi

Many thanks for help , the Man was a Driver so it looks most likely he would still be

wearing his ASC badge ,once again thank you both very much . Colin

Yes it would have been normal for a driver in a Field Ambulance to be ASC and thus retain his badges.