Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arterillery Nose Cone Found on Usna Hill

Harold II

My Grandson has just returned from a school trip to the Somme. I had encouraged him to visit Usna Hill where his g,g, great Uncle was KIA.

Apparently running down the hill, my grandson stumbled and unearthsomme2.pnged the cone shown below.

It is 7 cms high, 6 cms diameter weighs 920 gms. It appears to have a band with degradations and screw thread. Probably made of brass.

Our question is - what is it and more importantly how do we clean it or where can we get it professionally cleaned.

Thanks Rob:

As suggested, I will start with tartaric acid, brick acid and then the real tough stuff - nitric (or maybe battery acid) if all else fails.

Will post my results on the link you recommended.

Before you start scrubbing, you might want to be absolutely certain that your fuse does not still have the possibility of exploding. Perhaps Rod (or one of our more seasoned PALs used to dealing with unexploded ordinances) might weigh in on this.

-Daniel

Daniel, ET AL,

It appears to be a British No80 Time and Percussion Fuze. It is impossible to tell if something meets the criteria of 'Inert' from a picture as the definition is Free from all explosives or chemical contamination, and that requires hands on checking.

My suggestion would be hand it in to the authorities and let them professionally deal with it. In addition, we all know the impetuosity of youth, but a strong word to the 'finder' is in order. Just because this one is not hugely dangerous it is by luck not judgement. Hopefully the removal of the treasured posession will be sufficient punishment.

Had the item been found by customs, the several hours whilst the coach was searched would have really endeared the child to the other pupils and teachers alike, not to mention the possible criminal charges that could have arisen. All things being equal, that is not an issue this time but worthy of note.

Best Regards,

Rod

A bit OTT in my opinion, this fuse is most certainly dead as a dodo and the only damage it could cause is if dropped on your foot. Nobody on this forum would condone picking up and bringing home just anything but if this is fuse is a problem then I bet the majority of members who have visited the battlefields are guilty.

3401602992_e098579908_z.jpg

Norman

A bit OTT in my opinion, this fuse is most certainly dead as a dodo and the only damage it could cause is if dropped on your foot. Nobody on this forum would condone picking up and bringing home just anything but if this is fuse is a problem then I bet the majority of members who have visited the battlefields are guilty.

3401602992_e098579908_z.jpg

Norman

Norman,

I don't mean to alarm you but it appears a section of your fuse is missing! Have you checked behind the sofa?

-Daniel

PS Rod, thanks. I hope the finder chooses the safe and most appropriate course of action.

OMG! thanks I had not noticed that bit. :w00t: On the subject of the shell fuse found in post no1 I can see no problem whatsoever with cleaning and retaining this artifact from the battlefield. In my opinion the pure pleasure of walking the fields and sometimes finding such things is a huge part of any visit. The lad that found this was part of a school party and I would like to think that the responsible adults in charge would be very aware of any finds made by the party and indeed would have forewarned the group not to touch anything until it has been vetted.

On every trip to France/Belgium I have found such relics for that is what they are but they do give a feeling of connection to those who fought over the fields in WW1. Indeed there is no need to find them yourself as such fuses are readily available at various outlets. The best source on the Somme for such relics was when during my early visits we always headed for a scrapyard in Fricourt where the fuses were stored in oildrums there were so many.

Try Mounting it like this one.

4378706465_c077d5f0a2.jpg

Regards

Norman

Personally,I don`t like to see relic fuzes overcleaned. I prefer the patina,the dirt in the cracks and the artillerists` paint residues. I doubt if any fuze looked like the sanitized one in post #6 for very long!

Seadog,

Much as I value your opinion, how do you know that that one or the other of the stab sensitive igniter pellets are not live? My Xray vision doesn't seem to be working! Yes It could sit there as an ornament ad-infinitum without it functioning but then again, if one igniter is live then in the eyes of the law 'It's Live'. I've met a few dodo's and some were definately dead (and in kit form!).

Unfortunately the attitude of picking up items is ok, gets people hurt! People on this forum and in real life range from experts to complete novices on the subject and I for one get really annoyed picking up the bits (literally) when someone gets it wrong. Walk a mile in my shoes one day and you'll see how stupid it is to interfere with potentially dangerous items! It is far easier not to pick up anything, look by all means, enjoy the history of the battlefield and take in the atmosphere and sites even photograph items you see, BUT DO NOT TOUCH. Looking and even taking a photograph never caused ammunition to function, the most common way that that happens is the addition of an outside influence, be it a farmers tractor or an idiot who knows best!

As for " forewarned the group not to touch anything until it has been vetted." Having taken live grenades off the leader of a large school party in Ypres I find that statement somewhat lacking. As stated earlier various levels exist, I have encountered at least 3 teachers who were Cadet instructors who were positively lethal. All three needed a new hobby shortly afterwards as I'm afraid safety cannot be compromised.

With the best regards and in the hope everyone doe's not need me or my colleagues,

Rod

P.S. It now looks like I shall stay in this glorious job for a few more years :) , bring them on!!!!!!