Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arab bandits

Desmond7

A long shot here -

I will eventually be able to work out a first name for L/cpl. Martin but I wonder if any forum members can think of a way to work out who the murdered man 'Wilson' is?

Aside from that, I think it provides a good insight into the 'grass is always greener' syndrome which must have been fairly common amongst soldiers from YEAR DOT!

Best wishes Des

What do you lot think?

Life in Mesopotamia

Lance Corporal Martin of Ballymena, writing to Mr. McNabney, Provision Merchant, says:-

“Very few people in the old country know the real truth about Mesopotamia. Troops who have been in France in the early stages of the war say that those in France are having a picnic compared to the troops out here.

“One does not wonder at old Adam eating the forbidden fruit. Can one? I myself would eat it if I thought they would drive me out of the garden (of Eden, which was supposedly located in Mesopotamia) and send me to ‘Blighty’ again.

No hesitation whatsoever.

“The Arabs are the cleverest thieves in the world and they do all their looting under the most difficult and daring circumstances. A few nights ago three of the blighters entered a tent in which were a few stores and a Tommy fast asleep.

“Just as they were in the act of taking a kit bag from the tent, Wilson awaoke and as they saw him moving under his mosquito net, one of them immediately rushed at him with a knife and cut him right open and his chums found him dead next morning.

“The Arabs, however, did not escape as they were captured by the sentry and hanged the following day. An Indian sentry tells us that while on duty one night, he saw a few sheep coming up behind him , and amongst them he noticed

one whose manner wasa rather peculiar and slightly different from the others.

“Naturally, his suspicions were aroused and he fied two rounds at this sheep, and on examination he found that he had not a sheep but an Arab in sheep’s clothing. On many occasions they have crawled up behind the sentries and put

them ‘out of time’. I am on guard pretty often now. We managed to one in the mortuary a few nights ago and wound several since and no doubt we are having exciting times. You ought to see their knives.”

Ballymena Observer, October 27, 1916

I suspect that if you can identify the Regiment that Martin was in, that Soldier Died might give you the answer for Wilson. While he might not be in the same Regiment, the reference to him by name must suggest some sort of association between the two.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Brendon

As long as this soldier's grave wasn't lost and thus commemorated on a Memorial, this is the list of Wilsons who died in Mesopotamia:

AMARA WAR CEMETERY

Wilson, A., Pte, #11230, 1st Bn HLI, 24/08/1916,

Wilson, C., Pte, #S/11731, 2nd Bn Black Watch, 22/04/1916,

Wilson, Frederick, Pte, #9924, 2nd Bn Leicestershires, 28/09/1916,

Wilson, F.B., Pte, #4134, 3rd/6th Bn. attd. 1st/6th Bn Devonshires, 17/07/1916,

Wilson, H., Dvr, #10210, 2nd Bty. 13th Bde RFA, 07/07/1916

Wilson, J., Pte, #S/8428, 2nd Bn Black Watch, 07/01/1916

Wilson, J.E., Pte, #T4/123413, ASC, 15/07/1916

Wilson, J.T., Pte, #30070, 8th Bn RWF, 20/05/1916

Wilson, R., Pte, S/10278, 2nd Bn Black Watch, 07/01/1916,

Wilson, T., Pte, S/9159, 2nd Bn Black Watch, 24/04/1916

Wilson, William Frederick, Gnr, #102725, 8th Bty. 13th Bde RFA, 11/07/1916

Wilson, W.J., Pte, #11482, 6th Bn Loyal North Lancs, 14/09/1916

BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) CEMETERY

Wilson, G., Pte, #8210, 1st Bn Ox & Bucks LI, 30/09/1916,

Wilson, G., Dvr, #57428, 82nd Bty RFA, 20/10/1916,

Wilson, Leo Patrick, Cpl, # 855305, 1st/5th Hants Howitzer Bty RFA, 30/09/1916

BASRA WAR CEMETERY

Wilson, Henry, Pte, #S/20399, 1st Bn HLI, 10/10/1916,

Wilson, John, L/Cpl, #S/7732, 1st Bn Seaforths, 13/07/1916

Many thanks for tips and list.

Let the cross-checking and paper trawling begin!

Cheers lads - Des

Des,

Was the letter written on October 27th or printed on the 27th. If written it would have to be G. Wilson RFA killed October 20, 1916 as that would be the only one killed 'a few days ago'. If published on Ocotober 27th then figure the incident happend about 30 days before (?) then we have G. Wilson Leicestershires, G Wilson Oxs & Bucks, Leo Patrick Wilson or Henry Wilson HLI. Great job of collecting the information, Chris.

Take care,

Neil

Guys - You are all promoted to 'Taggart' rank ... there's been a murder!!

It was printed on 27th .. good thinking Forum CID.

Des Plod

Edited by Desmond7

Thanks Neil.

Des, I hope you can find them.

The Ballymena Observer is a real gem for information.

A gem ... and sometimes it feels like a millstone when you key in the WW1 related stuff from 14-18.

Still living in hope of finding an I.D. for Martin.

Thanks all

• 9 months later...

Des, were you able to get a first name for the murdered man?

Chris - To me eternal shame .. no!

Though I do have a sneaking suspicion that HLI comes into it. Have you ever seen the MICs for Martins in the HLI?

Bloomin' far too many of 'em!!

Cheers Des

A few nights ago three of the blighters entered a tent in which were a few stores and a Tommy fast asleep.

“Just as they were in the act of taking a kit bag from the tent, Wilson awaoke and as they saw him moving under his mosquito net, one of them immediately rushed

Ballymena Observer, October 27, 1916

Hi Des,

Who would a Ballymena man refer to as a Tommy. An English man I sure. Otherwise it would be a Jock or a Taffy or am I thinking too simple.

Liam

Des, since our mystery man Wilson was murdered, wouldn't that be noted in the "Soldiers Died" database or listed as "died" and not KIA? Might narrow down the list of names that way.

Desmond,

on the disc i have (the old one)

Two from Ireland,

John Martin (Royal Irish Rilfles) cpl. 15/07/16. Co. Armagh.

John Martin (Royal Irish Rifles) cpl. 16/06/18. Co. Down.

Any help?

Mandy

Thanks for trying Mandy .. but can't make the connection with those two. The hunt goes on!

Des

Hi

From my records I would say that you can rule out the four Wilsons wh served with The Black Watch.

Hope this helps detectives ;)

Fred

• 5 years later...

Hi there guy's I have been reading this post about a murder ,and his name is wilson.

sorry to put a spanner in the works guy's but my list of wilson for the black watch is different ???

3/38874 PTE ROBERT WILSON 06/04/1916 BASRA MEMORIAL.

S/8428 PTE J WILSON 07/01/1916 AMARA CEM

10278 PTE R WILSON 07/01/1916 AMARA CEM

S/11731 PTE C WILSON 22/04/1916 AMARA CEM

S/9159 PTE T WILSON 24/04/1916 BASRA MEM

1989 PTE ROBERT WILSON 21/01/1916 BASRA MEM

S/4239 PTE HENRY WILSON 22/04/1916 BASRA MEM

S/7159 PTE GAVIN WILSON 07/01/1916 BASRA MEM

S/10674 PTE JAMES WILSON 22/04/1916 BASRA MEM

AND ALSO HAVE 1 IN 1917

S/10532 PTE TIMOTHY G WILSON 15/03/1917

SORRY GUY'S I HOPE THIS DOESN'T MAKE IT HARDER!!!!!

:wacko:

MY BEST REGUARDS

IANANDER