Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cambridgeshire Regiment Memorial

Hugh Pattenden

The 1/1st Battalion, The Cambridgeshire Regiment (T.F.) saw considerable service on the Western Front between 1915 and 1918, but I have never heard of any memorial to them, either at home or abroad. Does anyone know of a memorial?

As I recall there's an extensive memorial in Ely cathederal - but it might be a Cambridgeshire memorial rather than a specific regimental one.

Guest Hangleton

Hi All

I live in the area so I will go and have a look in Ely cathedral for you at the weekend.

Are you looking for any specific names or dates other than The 1/1st Battalion, The Cambridgeshire Regiment in WWI

Ely Cathedral has a regimental chapel, which contains memorial books for both wars. There is also a memorial plaque in St George's, Ypres.

Guest Hangleton

Hi Hugh

Went to Ely Cathedral, there is a memorial chapel to the Cambridgeshire Regt (St Georges Chapel) in the North Transept, all the names of the servicemen are painted on wooden panels on the walls. There is a stained glass window "To the glory of God and in grateful memory of all Ranks of the Cambridgeshire Regiment who fell in the servive of their King and Country 1914-1918". The chapel also commemorates servicemen of WW2. I got hold of a small book too which gives more information - I will send it to you if you are interested.

I will post some pictures of the chapel tonight.

Regards