Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lanyard, Stripes & Pip

kelly

Hi all fellow members, I'm sat xamining a photo of my grandad who survived Gallipoli and possibly France. Although the photo is not very good I'm going to presume it was taken at the end of 1918/19. On his left shoulder and going around the shoulder there appears to be a lanyard and because its a black and white photo I have to presume its white or some other light colour, also on the lower left arm there are two up-wardly pointing stripes and what appears to be a small pip below. Any Uniform experts amongst us able to tell me wht they are and what they mean please.

Regards

Garry Trown

Photo 3.pdf

Good conduct chevrons and wound stripes below ?

http://www.irishgreatwarsociety.com/insigniapatchesandbadges.htm

Good Conduct Chevrons

Good Conduct Chevrons were originally introduced in 1836. They were awarded to ORs below the rank of Sergeant and worn on the forearm of the right sleeve. The chevrons were similar to those worn by an NCO but with the point of the chevron facing upwards. On 1st March 1881 a General Order required them to be transferred from the right forearm to the left forearm. A man wearing them also received the relevant “good conduct” pay. However, because they were awarded for good conduct with a gratuity duly received it meant that they could also be forfeited for misconduct, and then had to be‘re-earned’. Once a man was promoted to Sergeant they had to be removed. In WW1 they were generally only worn by men below the rank of Corporal, 2nd Corporal and Bombardier.

They were awarded as follows;

1 chevron = 2 years

2 chevrons = 6 years

3 chevrons =12 years

4 chevrons =18 years

5 chevrons =23 years

6 chevrons =28 years

gcchevrons.jpg

2 years 6 years 12 years 18 years

wsandgsstripes.jpg

A soldier's left sleeve displaying 4 Good Conduct stripes and 3 Wound Stripes.

Hi Garry.

The two stripes are good conduct stripes [for five years undetected crime] Under them it looks like wound stripes but I am not sure how many. The landyard probably had a jack knife on the end.The experts should be along soon to give chapter and verse.

Regards

John

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your responses, I found the information to be very helpful.

Regards

Garry Trown

Agree with the previous posters - your man also has a Lance Corporal's chevron on his upper arm.