Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identification

militaryhound

Hello.

Could I have some help with identification of my grandfathers helmet badge uniform and belt

Thanks from militaryhound

post-91130-0-20163100-1342925901_thumb.j

Pretty sure this is the Essex Regiment c1881 to 1896. Helmet plate shows the Castle and Key of Gibraltar with a Sphinx on top. Collar badges show the three Sea-axes,being the County heraldic device.

All that said this is the WW1 Forum and we're off topic for the subject. Can I suggest you try the Victorian Military Forum (not sure of the correct title etc but I'm sure if you google around you'll find it).

Good hunting

Suddery

Hi MH,

I agree this is definitely the earlier Essex Regt. helmet plate centre worn 1881-1896. This is certain because of the gap between the turrets and the base of scroll beneath the spinx.

I suppose that it is slightly off topic, however, it is possible that this soldier served during WW1, in which case there would be a connection.

Robert

The photographer coming from Warley where the Essex Regiment's Depot was located would also support the views already expressed.

Philip Rayner does not appear in Kelly's Directory for 1882 but does appear in 1894. I do not have access to Directories for the intervening years.

He is still at Newport Place, Great Warley in 1902 but is not shown in 1914. I do not have access to Directories for the intervening years.

Dave

The upper garment is not a tunic but the 7 button Home Service Frock with jam pot cuffs. The seax collar badges were worn between 1882 and 1947. It is a superb photo of its time. Thank you for posting it.

The belt is from the Slade Wallace equipment and was fastened by a general service locket inscribed DIEU ET MON DROIT - the motto of the British Monarch when in England. It means (when in full) "God and my right shall me defend". The buttons were also general service and bore the then Royal coat of arms.

Thank you all so much for your input. Leonard spent only 49 days with 4th Battalion Essex Regiment before transferring to the 1st South Lancashire Regiment and heading of to South Africa Regimental number 6037.

He saw action on the Transvaal as he returned to India with QSA medal and 3 clasps That is all the info I have for him regarding that episode of his life He maintained from 1907 superb records for his time in the Military Police and South Persia Rifles Kerman Brigade If anyone can offer any more info as to his time in the South Lancashire Regt I would be more than grateful

Thank you all Chris

Thank you all so much for your input. Leonard spent only 49 days with 4th Battalion Essex Regiment before transferring to the 1st South Lancashire Regiment and heading of to South Africa Regimental number 6037.

He saw action on the Transvaal as he returned to India with QSA medal and 3 clasps That is all the info I have for him regarding that episode of his life He maintained from 1907 superb records for his time in the Military Police and South Persia Rifles Kerman Brigade If anyone can offer any more info as to his time in the South Lancashire Regt I would be more than grateful

Thank you all Chris

The 1st Battalion, The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment) went to South Africa in Dec 1899 as part of the 11th Infantry Brigade.

There movements after the Boer War were as follows:

1903 to India - Jubbulpore.

1906 - Raniket

1909 - Subathu

1912 - Amballa

1914 - Quetta

1919 - Afghanistan

1920 - Ireland