Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lottery funding for research

Tunsilk

This is link to an article that appeared in the Guardian. Is this funding general throughout the country. Many forum members will have spent time and money doing this kind of research in the past and not be aware that this kind of help is available.

http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/local/commemoration-project-awarded-lottery-funding-1-4729028

David

Thanks for posting this link, David. I am attempting to undertake a similar project in my local town and have been meaning to investigate HLF grants. Looks as though it might be worthwhile doing just that.

moulie

Thank you from me also, worth remembering that there may be funding out there. Regards, Michael Bully

I'm sure that one or two previous awards have been mentioned on the forum.

It never occured to me when I was researching the 3000 names on Stockport's memorials that there might have funding. Not that I begrudge the many hundreds of pounds that it cost me.

I am involved in seeking/securing lottery funding under the "Big Local" allocation.

There are almost certainly some key requirements

1 An umbrella organisation in good standing - Community association or perhaps Local History Society, that can act as fund holder and be accountable

2 A detailed plan with outline costings

3 ? some community involvement

Well worth exploring if you can get over 1 and 2

Keith

@Keith: You've actually answered a couple of points I wanted to raise about this. I had assumed it would be of benefit to have some form of 'umbrella' organisation, so I'm, pleased you mentioned that. At the moment I am attempting to forge links with the local museum, which might be useful in this respect. I am also keen to have involvement from the local community.

Do you have any tips or advice?

Luke

Try this link for starters. http://www.lotteryfunding.org.uk/uk/funding-internet-search.htm

I suspect that you my need to be in effect a small organisation, beneath the unbrella group, but follow up from the beginning, phone them up, and I am sure you will be given helpful advice. The group I am involved in is involved in as very specific linitiative, and I was not one of the originators so I'm afraid its back to you.

Keith

Keith

The cash involved in the "Tynemouth" case is quite a lot. An umbrella organisation would really have to be a big one. Its North Tyneside Council in this case. Local history or community groups operate on tiny budgets. Hence only a few large groups would qualify.

Its also lucky that the local paper compiled a RoH for the whole Borough area in 1923. Usually lists or memorials cover specific small areas so compiling an area list is a time taking task to start with.

I want to see as many of the men and women of WW1 remembered in as much detail as possible. But there are a lot a people doing that now with minimum resources because of their interest in the subject. I have a worry in the back of my mind that big organisations like local authorities have the ability to seek funding and get a "community project" at no cost with maximum PR. The small people with the passion are sidelined and lots of them are forum members. As its a National Lottery then it should not be a National Project and then perhaps it would be the memory rather that the funding that is to the forefront.

David