Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish soldier regiment identification

emmo7474

Hi,

Can anyone help me to identify which regiment this Scottish Soldier belongs to. I'm not sure whether he belongs to the KOSB or a Canadian Regiment?

Regards Simon

post-90283-0-67842200-1342713715_thumb.j

I think Candian: collar dogs and the buttons look Candian to me

Both jacket and belt are of distinct Canadian pattern and the cap badge and collars looks like the 43rd Cameron Highlanders of Canada.

post-599-0-40026100-1342721059_thumb.gif

post-599-0-53983200-1342721169_thumb.jpg

And an older soldier of the same 'regiment' (79th), but not battalion, with sporran.

post-599-0-98288500-1342721227_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-86656300-1342721235_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info.

I'm just comparing my photo with the 43rd Cameron Highlanders of Canada photo. The Glengarry is different and the pattern in the kilt Would they have different styles of kilt and glengarry check pattern.

I'd say the sett of the tartan is different, and the glengarry in the OP's photo is diced, whereas the 43rd Highlanders' one isn't.

You could be right, but I did look carefully before making my pitch. It seems that the 43rd wore several different badges before settling on a final pattern (they were formed from the 79th but ended up as 43rd during WW1). The ones I have posted were an early type and I believe they are the same as those worn in the OP's photo. I am not sure about what tartan they wore and whether that too might have changed and would welcome other researchers views.

According to Joe Sweeney: "The Camerons--79th Miltia and its dirivates wore a plain Glen (although very early 43rd are seen in Diced Glen's)" although for any Cameron styled unit the plain blue would be usual.

I imagine that the 43rd wore the Cameron sett as their parent unit, the 79th, did.

There is a good possibility that the man is from the 113 (Lethbridge Highlanders) Bn, The collar badge is the right shape and the bottom left of the Cap badge appears to have a scroll sticking out.

regards

John

Simon,

It's the 17th BN CEF-later 17th Reserve. "Nova Scotia Highlanders/Seaforth Highlanders of Canada"

I believe that this photo is probably taken in Canada or very early after arrival.

John,

The 113 I do not believe actually wore kilts except the pipe band.

Joe Sweeney

I had another look at the 17th the cap badge looks good but there doesn't apear to be a scroll on the bottom of the collar badge - were there two patterns of collar badge?

regards

John