Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adolphe Symons

Michelle Young

• Admin

I was recently talking to his great nephew; I have located his medal index card but no service papers- any ideas where I can locate anything please? I imagine the London Gazette would be enlightening but I never have any luck with searching the site.

Many thanks, Michelle

Do a google search for london gazette adolphe symons and there a quite a few matches which come back from the gazette.

• Admin

Thank you, as it is such an unusual name I would assume there wouldn't be too many of them, his MIC has a lot on it.

Michelle

Hon Brigadier General Aldolphe Symons CMG

Commissioned 1892

Lt 1893

Capt 1901

South African War - Relief of Ladysmith, including action at Colenso; operations of 17th January to 24th January 1900 and action at Spion Kop.; operations of 5th to 7th February 1900 and action at Vaal Krantz; operations on Tugela Heights (14th - 27 February, 1900) and action at Pieters Hill. Operations in Natal March to June 1900. including action at Laings Nek (6th-9th June) . MID London Gazette 10th September, 1901. Queens south Africa Medal with 4 Clasps.

On return from South Africa he attended the Staff College and was promoted to Major in July , 1905

Lt Colonel commanding (Brevet Colonel 1916) 13th Hussars 1913-1917. GSO grade 1 BEF, A Deputy Director (temp Brigadier-General), 1917-1918 - exact post unknown. Retired with Hon Rank of Brigadier General, 1919. MID LG 15th June, 1916. 4th Jan 1917 and 20th Dec 1918. CMG

He volunteered for service in WW2 and was second-in-command (as Brevet Colonel) Home Guard, London District, 1940-42

TR

• Admin

Thanks Terry

Michelle

• 3 years later...

Michelle, came across this post whilst whiling away some hours. There is a photo of Adolphe Symons in the 13th Hussars polo team in 1896. He appears in The Navy & Army Illustrated, Vol 2, 24; pages 254-255. He is unidentified in the photo but at least you have a choice of four (or possibly three because I think I have identified one of the other men). PM me if you'd like a copy of the photo.

hi any chance of the polo photo from 1896 does it have named photos, just completing a book on polo players in the great war.

Getting close to finishing now