Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Edward FOSTER, 10th Royal Fusiliers

chrisu_au

2/Lt Edward Foster is commemorated Arras Memorial.

There is an indication in his SR that he was "Buried just South of Gavrelle, North of Fanpoux", which would place his burial either in or in very close proximity to Chili Trench Cemetery.

I think he might be one of the 19 unidentified burials in Chili Trench Cemetery. See: http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/59506/Chili%20Trench%20Cemetery,%20Gavrelle

Does anyone have more information or can you point me in the right direction to confirm this or amend the existing data?

Cheers all

Chris

Hello, Chris and welcome

Well, no one else has yet stepped up to the plate, so for what it's worth......

Have you contacted the CWGC enquiring if they have original burial sites for the Known Unto God headstones in Chili Trench Cemetery?

Do any of the headstones indicate rank or regiment?

I'm afraid that just "thinking" that he is one of them may not get you any further, but you could send them the extract of burial location from his Service Record to enquire whether any remains had been recovered from that place and perhaps buried elsewhere.

I don't have the geographic details to hand but "just South of Gavrelle and North of Fampoux" could still cover a very large area.

Have you anything more specific you could pass on to the CWGC, or a Body Density Map may help show where remains were recovered from.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but do let us know what assistance you get from the CWGC.

Do you have a family relationship with Edward Foster?

You never know, your information might in fact lead to the recovery of his undisturbed remains...

There were 61 men killed on 23rd April in this Battalion, of which 37 rest in Chili Farm.

That leaves 24 NOT in Chili Farm and 19 are commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

Are you, in fact, suggesting that ALL 19 are the KUG's in Chili Farm?

Don't forget that other cemeteries, such as Point du Jour may also have had burials from the action that day.

The remaining 5 (George; Hardaker; Harper; Lawton and Parker) might have died at CCS or Field Ambulances, but one or two might also be battlefield burials.

There is this additional information (although I'm not convinced about the Birth Record, father is shown as a coach (domestic) driver in 1911 Census, which doesn't neatly fit with 1917 newspaper manager...

Name: FOSTER, EDWARD. Rank: Second Lieutenant

Date of Death: 23/04/1917. Age: 21.

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers. 10th Bn.

Panel Reference: Bay 3. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Edward and Emma Foster, of 44, Radnor Rd., Harrow, Middx.

Name: Edward James Foster. Age in 1911: 16. Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895

Birth Place: St Mary, Middlesex, England. Civil parish: Kensington. County/Island: London

Street Address: 4 Courtfield Mews, Courtfield Road, Kensington S W. Marital Status: Single

National Probate Calendar

Foster, Edward, of 44 Radnor Road, Harrow, Middlesex. Lieutenant 10th Battalion Royal Fusiliers died 23rd April 1917 in France.

Administration: London 17 September to Edward Foster newspaper manager. Effects: £119 19s 11d.

Name: Edward Foster. Death Date: 23 Apr 1917. Rank: 2/Lieutenant (T)

Regiment: Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). Battalion: 10th Battalion

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Sorry, you'll need a more expert Pal to help you further...

Thanks for your reply Kevin, and the information. I'll look further into it and let you know how I fare.

Chris

I've mapped the Battalion's movements for April 1917 from the Btn War Diary.

21 April 1917 - Btn moved via Athies to trenches. Two Coys in front line approx between points H II.b.68 and H 5 b.4.5. One coy in support approx between points H II, a. 88 and H 5a.88, in position at 11.30pm.

Several patrols sent out to reconoitre and try to connect with other brigades. [At this point the Btn was situated behind Cuba Trench close to Chili Trench.]

Btn occupied Cuba Trench abt 9.30am 23 April 1917.

Casualties from 22nd to 29th April - 4 officers killed, 6 officers wounded, 42 OR's killed, 192 ORs wounded, 22 ORs missing.

The four officers are not mentioned by name in the War Diary but would be 2/Lt Edward FOSTER, Capt & Adjt Guy GOLDTHORP, 2/Lt Gerald James Hardwicke COWIE (all commemorated Arras Memorial) and one other (?).

The diary places the Btn within 500 metres of Chili Trench Cemetery at the date of FOSTER's death.

I'll take this to the CWGC and see what other information they can provide.

Cheers

Chris