Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George negus YLI, pics in RA, medal card ?

garfyboy

Hi all

Just purchased a trio to George h r negus, also with a couple of pics of him as cpl in RA pos RHA but not mentioned on medal card ??

Is this the norm ??

Ps: Kia Somme last day

Sorry forgot to mention he was with KOYLI when killed and on this mentioned on mic

According to his MIC, 9926 George H R Negus went to France 15/1/1915 as a private and later was promoted to corporal.

This would indicate that he was never in the artillery after that date of entry.

The likeliest BMD birth is for George Henry R Negus, Jun Qtr 1894 Kensington.

SDGW

Name: George Henry Reuben Negus Birth Place: Kensington, London Death Date: 18 Nov 1916 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: London Rank: L/Sergeant Regiment: King's Own (Yorkshire Light Infantry) Battalion: 2nd Battalion Number: 9926 Type of Casualty: Killed in action Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Baptism; Name: George Henry Reuben Negus Mother: Helen Elizabeth Negus Father: Charles Negus Birth: abt 1894 - Kensington St James Norlands Baptism: 13 May 1894 - Kensington St James Norlands

I suppose the possibilities are;

1) It's not him in the photo

2) It's not his uniform e.g. photographer's prop

3) He was attached to the artillery, and this wasn't entered on his MIC

4) He had pre-war service, was promoted, demoted, changed regiment, promoted again...

I'm definitely no expert though. Hopefully someone can advise.

4) He had pre-war service, was promoted, demoted, changed regiment, promoted again...

He did have pre-war service...

1911 census shows him as a 17 year old Bandsman with 1st Battalion K.O.Y.L.I. in Hong Kong.

Steve

Could be a reative but he appears to be in the 1901 census as a pauper scholar at the Kensington and Chelsea Schools in Ewell, Surrey, so no obvious sibling links.

Thanks for the help and ideas chaps, I have not had time to research yet as I am working away but both of the photos have written on the back - to hettie all my love George so definitely a George, I hope when I research I find a family member named hettie !!!!!

Andy

Buried in new Munich trench cem also, a lovely peacefull small cemetery which I will visit shortly

I think oxandbucks is right. I think the following are the parents;

Deaths Mar 1897 Negus Helen Elizabeth 40 Kensington 1a

Deaths Dec 1898 Negus Charles 45 Kensington 1a 100

So far i've found sisters Elizabeth Nettie Negus, Helen Drusilla Negus and Mary Ann Florence Negus.

Brilliant ipt

Elizabeth nettie, this must be who the postcards are to then, nettie not hettie!!!

One postcard George poses on a horse with artillery cap on, the other he is in a crowd pose, only one cap on the whole bunch, that's also artillery , I am now 100% sure these pics are him

Cheers

So, our gunner could be the younger Charles, or we just have an unrelated gunner in the photograph? (Although a quick run through the medal cards doesn't throw an obvious match.

What makes you so certain that the gunner is George?

John

Hi John

The photos are are written on the back TO HETTIE ALL MY LOVE GEORGE

this has to be my man, theyy came with the medals direct from a distant relative

Regards

Andy

• 3 months later...

Hello, - Sgt George Henry Reuben Negus 9926

have just seen your July post:

George Negus is my Great Great Uncle. Iv'e been researching George and how he died in Munich Trench over a number of years.I have visited the trench and walked the no mans land that he would have covered on the attack of Munich Trench on many occasions, though mostly on cold windy autumn days.

I have various letters/ cards from George to his sister Netta / Nell. He wrote to her from China in 1911 when he was a young bandsman, asking her to name her due to be born child after him.

In August 1914 his regiment was in Ireland when the first world war began and they were immediately sent to france then up to hill 60,Zillebeek and St Elois,all places I have visited.

I have copies of the battalion war diary from the days leading up to the attack.

George is the Great uncle of my father (now in his late 80's) We have researched the Negus family who came from Cambridgeshire,although Georges' father then moved down to London We had wondered what had become of the medals,but as it was a large family i guess the medals may have ended up with any one of his five brothers and sisters and been passed down over the years.

Rob

Barnet,Herts

Hello, - Sgt George Henry Reuben Negus 9926

have just seen your July post:

George Negus is my Great Great Uncle. Iv'e been researching George and how he died in Munich Trench over a number of years.I have visited the trench and walked the no mans land that he would have covered on the attack of Munich Trench on many occasions, though mostly on cold windy autumn days.

I have various letters/ cards from George to his sister Netta / Nell. He wrote to her from China in 1911 when he was a young bandsman, asking her to name her due to be born child after him.

In August 1914 his regiment was in Ireland when the first world war began and they were immediately sent to france then up to hill 60,Zillebeek and St Elois,all places I have visited.

I have copies of the battalion war diary from the days leading up to the attack.

George is the Great uncle of my father (now in his late 80's) We have researched the Negus family who came from Cambridgeshire,although Georges' father then moved down to London We had wondered what had become of the medals,but as it was a large family i guess the medals may have ended up with any one of his five brothers and sisters and been passed down over the years.

Rob

Barnet,Herts