Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Robert Bryson Withers DSO... RA

27thBN

Hi all i am doing some research on Capt]Major Robert Bryson Withers DSO i have his mic which shows his first unit in france as C battery 96 Brigade 21st Division /

he changed fairly early to the RGA from the RFA im am trying to find when this was and most important which unit he went to .Anything else would be most welcome ..does he have a service record at kew ? im in australia so its rather hard .He was a regular soldier joining in 1910 from the royal acadamy as 2lt i have a few LGs pages

cheers and thanks in advance

I know he joined as OC of 12 Hvy Bty, from 21 Hvy Bty 02-10-16. His records have the dreaded ‘P’ extension so are not available.

Rgds

Paul

His entry on page 370 of Part 2 of the Distinguished Service Order 1st January 1916 to 12 June 1923 reads:

WITHERS, Robert Bryson (gazetted as WITHERS, Rupert Bryson) DSO LG 3.6.18; b.26.9.90.

2nd Lt; R.A.,23.7.10,Lt.23.7.13, Capt R.G.A.,23.7.16 A/Major 29.3.17.

see also page 90 Part 2 of the DSO for L.G.3.6.18 which reads:

WITHERS,Rupert Bryson, Capt.(Acting Major)Royal Garrison Artillery (Christian name corrected to Robert Bryson L.G.23.7.18.)

His entry in Debretts 1919 under Companionage page 1877 reads:

WITHERS Major Rupert Bryson DSO. b.1890. Capt and Acting Major RGA, European War 1914-18 (despatches, DSO)

cr.DSO 1918.

His entry in War Services of Officers of the Army 1920 on page 1801 is even shorter and reads:

WITHERS R.B. (Capt.R.Art.) - The War of 1914-19 - Despatches - London Gazette 21.5.18 - DSO.

His entry in Honour the Officers on page 797 confirms Capt/A.Major Royal Garrison Artillery F/F DSO LG.3.6.18 page 6460.

In the August 1914 Army List he is listed on page 637 under Royal Garrison Artillery No.55 Company, Gibraltar: Lt WITHERS R.B.

In the February 1915 Army List he is listed on page 560 as Lt. WITHERS R.B. 23 July 13.

I regret I do not have any Army Lists here beyond that date.

I know he joined as OC of 12 Hvy Bty, from 21 Hvy Bty 02-10-16. His records have the dreaded ‘P’ extension so are not available.

Rgds

Paul

Thats great Paul could you tell me where you got this from

And if possible send a me the link or picture of the information for my records

cheers

I can't add to his career details but this might be of interest:

http://tinyurl.com/c2owcwf

TR

Good find yes i have the said group in my

care now hence the research im seeking

cheers and thanks

thanks paul pm sent