Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British 1868 Pattern Lance head - WW1

Simon127

Hi Gents,

This is the 1868 Pattern lance head I mentioned on the 1907 hook quillon bayonet thread.

I'm afraid the photos were difficult to take as there's a bit of a reflection whatever you do settingswise. It was bought in a brocante fair in Liege and is in rough/relic condition. It has a broad arrow above the EFD mark, beneath which is the number '4', and beneath that an Enfield inspection stamp (the letter E is just visible in the second photo). I've always assumed it was WW1 but would appreciate anymore info.

All I need now is a 9 foot long bamboo pole to mount it on ... and a house with enough room to accommodate it ... and a considerably more tolerant girlfriend. Well, I might be able to sort the pole out at least.

S

p1894lancehead1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

p1894lancehead2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just a thought, but could the pole and the girlfriend not ... no ... best not ...

Simon, it's a little hard to make out all the detail of the markings, but I think you might have an issue date stamped below the EFD marking.

After manipulating the image a little it looks like it could be a 14, which would make perfect sense on a semi-relic that was found in France.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-37309000-1342415209_thumb.j

Looks even more like a 14 when it is blown up to 200 or 400 percent. Seems like the Brits put their mark on everything, even in those days.

Thanks guys - I had never thought of that but yes, there does indeed appear to be a 1 in front of the four. Unfortunately these don't show up too often but I have come across some Enfield-made Naval boarding pikes that have the same format of markings: Arrow, EFD, inspection stamp and abbreviated year date.

http://www.wdmilitaria.co.uk/viewphoto.php?x=8

http://www.wdmilitar...ewphoto.php?x=3

One other thing - I am right in thinking that this is the 1868 Pattern lance am I not?

S