Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One brave man, his Military Cross group, WW1 RFA WW2 RN

Lancashire Fusilier

In Leslie Charles Sibborn, we have an obviously brave man, having been awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry in WW1, we also have a man who fought in both World Wars, and in each of the World Wars serving in a different service, the Royal Field Artillery in WW1, and the Royal Navy in WW2.

Born on February 10, 1893, Leslie Charles Sibborn was educated at Dulwich College and The University of London, where he served in the OTC., from which, on December 11, 1914 he received a temporary commission in the Royal Field Artillery as a Second Lieutenant, later being promoted to Temporary Lieutenant.

He served with the R.F.A. in France, was wounded in 1915, and returned to England. Having recovered from his wounds, he returned to active duty in France in 1917.

On May 13, 1918, Lieutenant L. C. Sibborn was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry, and was Gazetted on 13 May 1918 :-

" For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When his section was heavily shelled, and the majority of one of the detachments became casualties, he ordered the remainder of the men to a flank, and aided by a N.C.O. he succeeded in removing all the wounded to cover, returning twice under a most violent fire to do so. He later returned with a party and succeeded in extricating a disabled gun. His gallantry and devotion to duty were most commendable. "

Temporary Lieutenant L.C. Sibborn M.C. was promoted to Lieutenant on 15 August 1918.

Lieutenant L.C. Sibborn M.C. was promoted to Captain on 9 June 1922, and retired from the Army in June 1922.

In addition to receiving the Military Cross, he also received the 1914-15 Star, The British War Medal and the British Victory Medal.

On 17 August 1923, he entered service with the Royal Navy and served continuously with the Royal Navy throughout WW2 on both shore based and at sea assignments, attaining the naval rank of Lieutenant, and later promotion to Lieutenant Commander.

Lieutenant Commander L. C. Sibborn retired from the Royal Navy in 1948.

For his services during WW2, he received the 1939-1945 Star, the Atlantic Star, the Defence Medal and the War Medal.

Lieutenant Commander L. C. Sibborn, R.N. died on 9 August 1969.

I hope that a member will be able to provide information from the R.F.A. War Dairies regarding where Lt. Sibborn actually was in France at the time he received his Military Cross, and details of that battle he was involved in.

I am also hoping to obtain a photograph of Captain L. C. Sibborn

Clearly he was a very brave man with a great sense of duty to his country, and with only 37,104 Military Crosses awarded during WW1, I am extremely proud and fortunate to have his 8 medals, including his Military Cross, in my Collection.

LF

post-63666-0-79941800-1342350794_thumb.j

post-63666-0-01550200-1342350864_thumb.j

post-63666-0-91631600-1342350898_thumb.j

Can I say what a nice group of medals to own. Keep them safe. Ralph.

Thanks rjaydee, I am pleased you liked them, and yes, they are in good hands.

There is something special about the Military Cross!

Regards,

LF

Rjaydee,

Here is another similar Military Cross grouping currently for sale at 2,400 pounds. These Military Cross groupings are rare, and are not cheap, yet are a great investment.

Regards,

LF

2/4th Bn Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire 1918 “Tank Busting” Military Cross Group of Seven. Later 18th Bn (London Irish) London Regiment & WW2 Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Awarded to Lieutenant James Spencer Roffey, who had formerly served in the Ranks of the Honourable Artillery Company, commissioned into the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry he was attached to the 107th Brigade Royal Field Artillery Anti Tank Battery at the time of being awarded the Military Cross. He later served with the 18th ( London Irish) London Regiment and during WW2 served with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Comprising: Military Cross, 1914/15 Star “1434 Pte. HAC”, British War Medal, Victory Medal, MID Oakleaf “Lieut”, France & Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal. The group is mounted as originally worn. GC ... Accompanied by a corresponding group of miniature medals. Again mounted as originally worn.

The Citation for the Military Cross appeared in the London Gazette on the 4th October 1919. “Lt James Spencer Roffey 2/4th Bn Oxf & Bucks L.I. T.F. attd C/107th Bde RFA. On the 1st November west of Maresches, when ordered forward with an Anti-Tank 18 pounder gun, he placed his gun in such a position in the forward line that when the enemy counter attacked with tanks, he was able to destroy an enemy tank. He continued to handle his gun with marked coolness and ability in an exposed position, thus most materially assisting to drive off the counter attack and help with the advance of our own infantry.” Roffey landed in France with the HAC on the 29th December 1914. Commissioned into the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry being appointed a Lt on the 21st February 1917. After the war he served with the 18th Bn London Regiment and resigned his commission in 1932 with the rank of Captain. During WW2 he served with the Royal Irish Fusiliers confirmed in the London Gazette 8th April 1941

Price: 2400.00 GBP

post-63666-0-50373600-1342703135_thumb.j

What a wonderful collection - you are a very lucky person LF!!!!!

What a wonderful collection - you are a very lucky person LF!!!!!

Thanks anneca, I am pleased you liked them.

Regards,

LF