Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bang goes the neighbourhood

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

I have raised the Hervin Farm issue in Beaurains but they said he did own the land as far as he built the wall so there was little they could do about it. The look on faces at the office when I mentioned him spoke volumes. I don't think they got very much good will out of him. He has been known to deliberately block the lane when CWGC gardeners are there, mere coincidence mind! :w00t: Tell you what, I'll pinch his labrador as long as nobody tells on me.

It was amusing, after signing into so many cemetery visitor books shortly after a visit by you Tom, to be doing the same in the WFA register last Thursday at the meeting in Albert. I am honestly not stalking you! :whistle: (or if I am I'm not very good at it as I am almost always a month behind.)

• 4 weeks later...

I have read the varying views on this thread with great interest and would like to make a simple, but to my mind, overwhelming point.

Any of you who have visited France, not just to see war graves, but to visit any french cemetery, will know the immense respect that they afford their dead. Often times cemeteries are gated and always well kempt with flowers in abundance. So one thing you can always be certain about, CWGC notwithstanding, is that a grave in France will always be respected and looked after.

Compare and contrast with the photos below of a certain London cemetery and be utterly appalled at the 'respect' we afford our own dead. One of the stones is dated as recently as 2002.

I know where I'd prefer our brave lads to be laid to rest, and as has been said, the presence of any form of occupied building or site is a graphic reminder of what these men died for - so that life could go on unhindered. But don't ever accuse the French of not caring about a grave site of any kind.

post-55494-0-38100400-1346963524_thumb.j

post-55494-0-09899200-1346963539_thumb.j

... Any of you who have visited France, not just to see war graves, but to visit any french cemetery, ... But don't ever accuse the French of not caring about a grave site of any kind.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but what a stupid and grossly inacurate statement.

"Any of you who have visited France, not just to see war graves, but to visit any french cemetery,"

I have visited my fair share of French military and civilian cemeteries and I can tell you, without fear of contradiction, that French civilian cemetery standards can easily match the worst excesses of British cemeteries any day of the week. French Military cemeteries, compared with CWGC sites, are at best medeocre, and more likely, a disgrace.

I congratulate you on finding a couple of dramatic photos, but your posting is twaddle.

Tom

The Alamo, for those that haven't seen it is in the center of down town San Antonio, surrounded by businesses, Govt buildings and hotels. Still a beautiful place and much venerated.

khaki

I'm with Norman on this one, 10 years, 100 years, doesn't matter, respect should be shown in any planning that impacts on our war deads last resting places', building right up to cemeteries makes me think they are trying to 'shove' our old boys out!!

With all due respect to Mr Tulloch-Marshalls reply, I have a keen hobby interest in the whole subject of cemeteries and have lived a great deal of time in France over the last ten years and travelled extensively there.

My experience in France does not support his hypothesis and the photos I posted of a UK cemetery were just a couple of many hundreds that I have collected of similar excesses in the UK. There will always be notable exceptions (Saint-Etienne-a-Arnes springs to mind) but they are rare in France compared to our lack of care in the UK. I mean when is our La Toussaint?

The Book of Common Prayer says "In the midst of life we are in death" and although not religious, I believe the reverse should also be true.....I for one would not want my brave ancestors buried in some lonely windswept plot. Better to be surrounded by the life and activity they fought to sustain, whether that be residential or commercial, than far away and visited only by those who take the time and trouble to do so.

If just a few passers-by look at that space, whatever it may be surrounded by, and remember what its about and what these people gaves their lives for, then I say its worth it and a better memorial to those who fell.

But thats just my personal opinion and I wouldn't want to offend those who think otherwise. :)