Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Gordon Highlanders

pierssc

Hi

Can anyone give me a brief run-down on the 11th battalion of the Gordon Highlanders please?

My grandfather was commissioned into them in 1915 and appears to have been based in Scotland before being seconded to the RFC in 1916.

We have some group photos of the officers - one with the names - if they are of any interest to anyone.

Cheers

Piers

Hi Piers from the Long Long Trail http://www.1914-1918.net/gordon.htm

There is much more on this website, it's the 'beez-neez'

11th (Reserve) Battalion

Formed in Aberdeen on 28 October 1914 as a K4 Service Battalion.

10 April 1915 : became a Reserve Battalion and moved in Dornoch. Moved on to Catterick in October 1915, going on to Bridge of Allan in June 1916.

1 September 1916 : converted into 42nd Training Reserve Battalion of 9th Reserve Brigade at Bridge of Allan. Became the 53rd (Young Soldier) Battalion in October 1917

Mike

Aha! Many thanks.

• 5 months later...

Hi Piers

My great uncle, George Lindores Wightman, was commissioned into 11th batt. Gordon Highlanders in Oct. 1914, got his pilot's licence at Le Crotoy, France in July 1915 & then stayed with RFC for rest of war. Have no idea what he did apart from Equipment Officer & no photo, so if you have one would be delighted to see it.

Is it possible that anyone near Kew can have a look up in the Nat. Archives for him on AIR 76/546/119 date 1918-1919, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks. Liz

All AIR 76 records can be downloaded for just over £3, just go to http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D8241607 and click "add to basket"

Hi Liz

I think the timing sounds wrong, in that my grandfather joined the Gordons later than your great-uncle who was probably in France by then. I'm afraid there's no Wightman on the photo with names listed.

For the benefit of anyone looking in the future and coming across this post, the photo with names lists:

OFFICERS of the 11th BN GORDON HIGHLANDERS 1915.

Back Row: 2nd Lieutenants Dufton, Elliot, Hurrie, Westwood, Fischer, Macfarlane, Thomson, Stocks, Gordon, Dippie, Sutherland, Mackinnon, Collier, Hutson, Mackenzie, Findlay, Doull, Johnson, Anderson, Nairn, Smith, Miller, Low, Kerr, Wood, Auld.

Centre Row: 2nd Lieutenants Withey, Beattie, Lumsden, Lunn, Kay, Main, Aberdein, MacLean, Robertson, Ireland, Watt, Chapell, Boyce, Knowles, MacIntyre, Martin, Templeton

Front Row: 2nd Lieut Robertson, Lieut Huskie, Lieut Hook, Capt Parr, Major Purvis, Lt Colonel Alford, Lieut Taylor, Capt McRoberts, Capt Longman, Lieut Lambie, Lieut Buchan

Lying: 2nd Lieuts Kerr [mine!], Giles

Hi Piers

Many thanks for the list of officers in your photo, I think I'm doomed never to see my great uncle, I never knew him & didn't even know he existed until I started the family tree! All the best for the New Year.

Liz

• 6 years later...
On 30/12/2012 at 18:41, pierssc said:

Hi Liz

I think the timing sounds wrong, in that my grandfather joined the Gordons later than your great-uncle who was probably in France by then. I'm afraid there's no Wightman on the photo with names listed.

For the benefit of anyone looking in the future and coming across this post, the photo with names lists:

OFFICERS of the 11th BN GORDON HIGHLANDERS 1915.

Back Row: 2nd Lieutenants Dufton, Elliot, Hurrie, Westwood, Fischer, Macfarlane, Thomson, Stocks, Gordon, Dippie, Sutherland, Mackinnon, Collier, Hutson, Mackenzie, Findlay, Doull, Johnson, Anderson, Nairn, Smith, Miller, Low, Kerr, Wood, Auld.

Centre Row: 2nd Lieutenants Withey, Beattie, Lumsden, Lunn, Kay, Main, Aberdein, MacLean, Robertson, Ireland, Watt, Chapell, Boyce, Knowles, MacIntyre, Martin, Templeton

Front Row: 2nd Lieut Robertson, Lieut Huskie, Lieut Hook, Capt Parr, Major Purvis, Lt Colonel Alford, Lieut Taylor, Capt McRoberts, Capt Longman, Lieut Lambie, Lieut Buchan

Lying: 2nd Lieuts Kerr [mine!], Giles

Hi...I appreciate that this post was 7 years ago but I came across it whilst browsing this forum. My surname is Huskie & was intrigued to see that a Lieut. Huskie was mentioned as being in the photo. Do you have a copy of this photo or could you direct me to where I could obtain one please?

Thank you very much & I wish you a very Happy & safe New Year!

Kindest regards,

Stuart James Huskie

Hi Stuart, yes I'm sure I still have it somewhere, give me a day or two to dig it out.  Send me a PM (the envelope symbol in the top RH corner of the page) with your email address and I'll send it over.

• 6 months later...

I'd be very interested to see an image of major Purvis. I'm writing an article on him because he had a long and varied career in infantry, cavalry, artillery, militia and regular forces but as of yet have no image. 

Thanks for an interesting thread! 

• 4 months later...

@Thierry1991, I'm so sorry but I somehow missed your posting and your request for a picture of Major Purvis.  As the limit on picture sizes is much larger now than it was in 2012, I can now post the group picture and key.  If you need me to email you a copy, message me with your email address.  I think you need to have made 2 posts before you can access this, so if you just reply to this post, you should then be able to access the forum messaging system.

11th Gordons 1915.jpg

11th Gordons 1915 - Key (2).jpg