Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ADDLESTONE IN THE FIRST WORLD - ITS SOLDIERS, SAILORS & CITIZENS

cresswell

Over the years, I have collected and compiled information about Addlestone and its people during the 1914-18 conflict. I would be pleased to share my findings with other GWF members. Details ot the town's fatal casualties were published earlier this year in my book Addlestone's Victory Park. It includes information on the unit, rank and memorial or grave location of some 180 men and some brief genealogical details for all but a few. Our local newspaper, The Surrey Herald, carried poignant, sometimes graphic accounts of the fate of many of these men and my book includes transcriptions of these articles together with any accompanying photographs.

I have also collected details of a large number of other Addlestonians who were involved in the war, including non-fatal casualties, gallantry awards, 'home on leave' notices and published letters. Accounts of the effect of the war on some local businesses and entertainment facilities are also recorded.

For anyone with relatives known to have lived in Addlestone at the time of the Great War I would be pleased to search my database to see if a particular name is included and freely pass on anything I may find.

Jim Knight

Congraulations on bringing your research together in such a handsome volume Jim; and thankyou for your kind offer.

May I step up to the crease with a predictable request for any information you have on military concert parties please.

Dear Kate,

Thank you for your kind comment.

I do not have any records of a military concert party taking place in Addlestone (population in 1911, 6,969) during the war. The town did have a civilian band that was formed in 1905. In 1914 its bandmaster was Cornelius Hawkins, an ex-Queen's Regiment man. The only record I have of it playing during the war is on 18 October 1914 at the funeral in Addlestone Cemetery of William Herbert Sizmur. He had died elsewhere in UK from wounds received at Mons. As he was 'the first village lad who had fallen in duty for his country' the interment was attended by a large crowd.

The Addlestone Band did not appear in public again until May 1919 when it was announced that its efficiency had been checked 'owing to so many of its members joining the Colours'.

One of three buglers who played the 'Last Post' at Sizmur's funeral was William George Elms, who had just turned 15 at that time. Elms enlisted in the Royal Fusiliers on 5 November 1917 and was killed in France on 6 June 1918, aged 18 years 8 months. He is always in my thoughts as the 'Last Post' is being played at Addlestone's Victory Park on each Remembrance Sunday.

Photographs of both Sizmur and Elms are included in my book.

Thank you again for contacting me. Very best wishes,

Jim