Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Survey to gauge interest in topics for Centenary Project

Kate-s

The Wartime Memories Project are in the process of planning events in the local area to commemorate the Centenary of the Great War, we have launched a survey to gauge interest and were wondering if members of the forum would be kind enough to take a moment to complete our short survey?

The link is:

http://www.wartimeme...d=89761〈=en

If you know of anyone who may be interested please feel free to pass the link on.

Many Thanks,

Kate

Thanks Kate but who are the Wartime Memories Project and where is the local area?

Andy

I wonder if funding for really bang up work on this topic will be made available.

Kate, (assuming you are connected with it) would you kindly explain why several emails I have sent to the Wartime Memories Project over the last few months have never received a reply?

Looking at the website, there appears to have been a successful bid for funding from the National Lottery, this must be the case, as to make the claim without that funding would clearly be misrepresentation. Otherwise the site is rather vague, although most links and references appear to relate to the North East.

I agree with Chris that more information would be helpful to say the least

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

The more I see of these "projects" the more they sadden me. This one seems to have been around a long time. However as Keith says "vague" to say the least. Is it lottery funded, is local or national, who is in charge. The "events" seem to one held in 2011 backed by Durham County Council. I live in the N E and it didn't come up on my radar. The "research" is more like a lot of "post it" notes on a wall, no logic, no database no search tools. On top of that the site is not contactable even the originator of this thread hasn't replied. Time will tell.

• 5 months later...

I would love to see, as close as possible a re enactment of trench warfare with soldiers in the trenches and the sound of all types of Guns going off (blanks of course),Just to get a sense of what it was like in the front line.

I think it would attract a lot of people who would like to see and hear what it was like.Then when the noise and guns fall silent, a minutes silence.

It's just a thought

G

Plenty of living history events where you can see something similar, not many recreations of actual battles though, hard to depict a WW1 battle realistically - if anyone did recreate one realistically (I don't mean a dozen tommies walking across a field and then falling over) I doubt people would enjoy it

Perhaps on re thinking you might be right.No point in reliving the Carnage