Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

relatives who died in ww1

museumtom

I see the site includes this text:

"One leading Statesman, on visiting the Ypres Battlefields, (Belgium) in 1919 broke down in tears saying 'Did we really send men to fight in this.' "

Wasn't this attributed to Lt-Gen Sir Launcelot E Kiggell? In 1917? And isn't there doubt about whether he actually said it at all?

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I see the site includes this text:

"One leading Statesman, on visiting the Ypres Battlefields, (Belgium) in 1919 broke down in tears saying 'Did we really send men to fight in this.' "

Wasn't this attributed to Lt-Gen Sir Launcelot E Kiggell? In 1917? And isn't there doubt about whether he actually said it at all?

Reputedly the 3rd Ypres, if as you say at all.

Ian

" We cannot access official military records, 1901 Census reports, Registrar details or Genealogy records. Our service will attempt to give an outline of events leading to the death of your relative. "

So what do they use? and how reliable would other sources be?

Any doubt ? Major and Mrs. Holt's 'Battlefield guide Ypres Salient' writes :

"Travellers standing at Tyne Cot Cemetery should remember the purported words of Haig's Chief of Staff, Kigell. After the battle [of Passchendaele] he visited the front, and seeing the endless pools of slime and mud, overlaid with the torn and twisted debris of war, he is said to have burst into tears and cried, 'Good God, did we really send men to fight in that?'" (p. 22)

'Purported' and 'is said to' seem to imply that there may be some doubt whether he actually said it I suppose.

So what do they use? and how reliable would other sources be?

Quick look at SDGW. Similar at CWGC. Check date for obvious battle . Otherwise "your relative probably got killed whilst in the line".

Thank you (and your donation is in the post I take it).

John

(PS; it's what I used to do when someone at work started on the "you're interested in WW1, arent you. I had a great uncle killed........ " Never even got bought a drink)

I looked at the 'book of Rememberance' on the site and it had the Last Post playing. I hate midi files on web pages but this has to take the biscuit for cheese factor.

Leigh.

Chris,

In danger of going seriously off-topic here, but

Richard Holmes in his ‘Tommy’ has the foll

“The story of a senior officer (generally identified as Kiggell, Haig’s chief of staff) asking: ‘Good God, did we really send men to fight in that?’ and then breaking down in tears has been comprehensively debunked, but still retains wide currency.”

Holmes’ foot note adds “It appears to have originated with Edmonds in 1927 and then been publicised by Liddell Hart, which does not augur well. It lacks the quality of evidence which might induce any reasonable bench of magistrates to award a speeding fine.”

Personally, I do not think that Holmes’ latter statement quite lives up to his previous one “has been comprehensively debunked.” If he has more evidence against this story then it is a great pity that he has not produced it

Regards,

Michael D.R.

If you've ever watched the Australian series 'Anzacs' there is a scene where it portrays Kiggell, slopping through the mud and filth in the pouring rain, before bursting into tears and uttering those very words.

The shows got Paul Hogan in it so it's got to be fair dinkum, ridgy-didge stuff!! ;)

Tim L.