Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ribbons ethics

Tommy1418

I've recently purchased a WW2 uniform complete with medal ribbons, which I intend using for re enactment purposes but have the age old quandry of do I remove the ribbons or not? It's obvious from my age that I did not serve in WW2 & would only be using it for re enactment purposes & not civic or memorial engagements....

Generally I would say that you make the uniform fit the period you are representing. However, if there are rare or unusual insignia etc on the uniform, then I believe, should be left intact, if this means obtaining a second tunic, so be it.

Just my personal opinion for what it is worth.

T

I would remove the medal ribbons on grounds of authenticity as they may not fit the criteria required for re-enactment e.g. wrong medal for area of combat.

Dave

Keep the medals as it seems you are only wearing the costume for re-enactment purposes. When I was in Belarus 7 years ago a group were doing some sort of Great Patriotic War thing. Damn obvious that these were actors playing troops from 1941-45!

It would depend on how realistic you want the enactment to be and not be criticised for wearing a complete set of ribbons for WW2 stars etc for an action taking place during the WW2 period. In my opinion you either do it properly or be mocked, but thats just me.

It would depend on how realistic you want the enactment to be and not be criticised for wearing a complete set of ribbons for WW2 stars etc for an action taking place during the WW2 period. In my opinion you either do it properly or be mocked, but thats just me.

T

hey could be Great War medal ribbons on a WW Two tunic.

Thanks Chaps! Will research the ribbons on the tunic when it arrives & assess from there on in as to what I deem appropriate... :-)