Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Trio

R M Oconnor41

Could somebody tell me over what period the WW1 trio were "presented?"

I have recently taken possession of my Grandfather's trio including 1914 Star with clasp and rose and notice that his rank on the 1914 star is Lance Cpl but Pte on the other two.

Just for added information my Grandfather was in the 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum,

The 1914 Star was issued generally during 1919 and the BWM and VM were issued from 1920 through to 1922/3, although medals were claimed for a number of years after this.

The rank of L/Cpl was an appointment and is never shown on the BWM and VM although it does appear on gallantry awards such as the M.M.and D.C.M. It would seem that your Grandfather either survived the war without achieving a higher rank than that of L/Cpl or he was invalided out due to wounds or sickness. The only other alternative is that he was killed during the war?

I am sure that if you could post more details, such as his full name, number and any other details which you have about him then someone may be able to help further.

Robert

Thanks for the reply.

here is a photo of the group with the rose laying on the Mons Star.

My Grandfather joined the Connaught Rangers in 1907 with the rank of boy. He was 14.

He was wounded in April 1915 at the second battle of Ypres.

He spent some of 1915 and 1916 in Ireland before serving in Mesopotamia and Palestine. At the end of his service with the Connaughts in 1922 he was a L/CPL having been appointed acting CPL in 1916.

After the Connaught Rangers he served with the Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers until 1931leaving with the ranks of Seargeant.

post-81573-0-49776800-1342289334_thumb.j

Alternatively, he could have been reduced to the ranks between qualifiying for the 1914 Star and qualifying for the War and Victory. The ranks shown on the medals are those which appear on the medal roll - in such a way you may have a man qualifying for the Star and being recorded as a Pte, then being promoted or commissioned and appearing as that higher rank on the War and Victory.

It is always GREAT to get family medals. I am in possession of most of my family members medals. Unfortunatly, none served in WWI. All were WWII.

Just a point of interest. The silver rosette is designed to be sewn onto the 14 star ribbon to denote the MONS BAR. Remember that the 14 star could be issued without the bar, also the ribbons are the same for 14 Star and 14-15 Star. The rosette is used to distinguish the 14 Star with bar.

Thanks for your replies.

These only came into my possession on Wednesday. They were thought stolen in the 1970s. The rose was sewn onto the Mons Star ribbon ( I assume to prevent its loss). It has now come adrift..

This is a nice addition to my letters and postcards and my 1912 SMLE.

post-81573-0-38151000-1342295489_thumb.j