Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Summerdown Convalescent Camp est. in April 1915 Eastbourne request for

salientpoints

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just to follow on from Ryan's thread, the Eastbourne Heritage Service now has the go ahead from the HLF to get the wonderful Summerdown Camp project underway. We have already started a limited amount of archaeological fieldwork on the one remaining area that is undeveloped and now want to start gathering information. If any of you have any information concerning the camp, the service men convalescing or staff who worked there, we would really love to hear from you. Any information passed on will be extremely welcome as we intend to put together the first extensive database of information on this important site. The project will involve a great deal of community involvement and end with an exhibition in 2015 (the centenary of the opening of the camp). We can't wait to hear from you and will definitely reply to any posts dm's etc. thank you so much in advance.

Jo

Ryan

Would the postcard in my 9th bn book (pages 38/39) be Summerdown camp? Postmarked Eastbourne but there may have been more than one camp.

Steve

Wonderful image Steve - even more so as you have names! I will file this in the research pot :)

Ryan

For those who have replied to me on this Summerdown subject already I will be sharing this detail with EB Heritage Services and the Museum - we will as Jo mentioned be following all this up wherever possible!

It's going to be a very exciting project

Cheers

Ryan

• 8 months later...

Hi Ryan,

I have been trying to find out some information about my grandfather who was stationed at Eastbourne from February 1917 until being demobbed eary in 1920. During his time at Eastbourne he sustained a serious injury to his right hand for which we never found out the cause nor nature of the injury. I haven't been able to find out much from the National Archives as I was told the Navy didn't keep as good records in comparison to the Army. I am guessing my grandfather was treated for his injury locally and hoping it might have been Summerdown. We came across an outdoors group photo which included my grandfather and companions wearing convalescent uniforms and on the back of the postcard the date was 12.10.19. My grandfathers service numbers were: RNAS F38130 / RAF 238130. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Darragh.