Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dreyse MG15 in LMG form

centurion

I have found references to the Dreyse MG15 being fitted with the MG08/15 bipod and used in a quasi LMG role but no photos. Does anyone know if

1. The reduced size water jacket with thinner wall and other mods (as applied to the MG08/15) were also applied?
  2. Any of these guns were part of the large number of Dreyse machine guns supplied toTurkey?

According to Musgrave's "German Machine Guns" the fitting on the Dreyse water jacket was compatible with the bipod for the MG08/15. This is one of the photographs from the book. (The rear support is only there for the photograph) With respect to the water jacket, Musgrave simply says that various modifications of a minor nature were made to the Dreyse during the war, none affecting the basic design. The most important was the addition of a muzzle attachment that acted as both a flash hider and a recoil booster.

I don't know about Turkey unfortunately.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-95268400-1342021791_thumb.jp

Thanks Tony

According to one source the Dreyse MG15 was specifically intended for use in the Middle East and was the only model to have the bipod fitting on the water jacket. Certainly all the tripod mounted ones of which photos I have found available do not have this. the tripod being attached further back. I think Musgrave may be incorrect in saying "various modifications of a minor nature were made to the Dreyse during the war, none affecting the basic design" as an air cooled version came out right at the end of the war (and was further developed post war).

That quote was specifically talking about the water cooled version. He deals with the late 1918 air cooled version separately.

He also says that several hundred Dreyse MGs were sent to Palestine which agrees with your comment about the Middle East. I will check the exact number and post later.

Regards

TonyE

I believe that many of the MG 15s were also fitted with a shoulder stock replacing the handles.