Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Regiments - Identifying The Uniforms

Flamstead

I have recently been passed the attached two photos.

Both are printed on the front of Post Cards and the one with the man, seemingly on Guard duty in his back garden, has a Postmark from Luton, dated 17th August 1915.

Unfortunately, they originate from a very large local family where many brothers and cousins enlisted - so at present we have no idea who they are. It would help us greatly if some kind souls on this forum could provide some clue as to the units or any other information on these man (based upon the details in the photographs).

Unfortunately, i don't know if it is the man on the left or the man on the right (or both) in the Motorcycle and Sidecar photo that is "family".

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Simon

post-72745-0-38584400-1342003235_thumb.j

post-72745-0-79286900-1342003250_thumb.j

The chap on the left, his cap badge looks like the Notts & Derby Regiment he is also wearing an Imperial Service Brooch so he is a Territorial.

Hi John,

That's a great help many thanks. I'm ashamed to say that I should probably have known that one as my own Great Grandfather (from Eyam) served with the Notts & Derbys in WW1. Unfortunately, the only photo I have seen of him (which is the pic on my Profile) shows him after he was wounded and had transferred to the Labour Corps - so no Notts & Derbys insignia.

Thanks again,

Simon