Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drum Major - DoW West Riding

tn.drummond

Photograph of a Drum Major from a Territorial Battalion of the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment.

This image came to me with a number of photographs from the same unit featuring the same character with an identifiable cap badge; hence the affirmation of DoW.

In many years of collecting this is the first image of a Drum Major that I've been fortunate enough to happen upon. As such I would be interested in any comments about the role of Drum Major and would be particularly interested in how many Drum Majors were appointed per Regiment.

Regards

Suddery

post-53823-0-05995100-1341943616_thumb.j

Each Regular infantry battalion has a Drum Major and Territorials endeavour to follow that tradition too, although it is not always possible in peacetime.

The function of the Drum Major, but not the appointment, has existed as long as there have been drummers. Originally, his role was that of senior drummer on parade, beating his own drum rather than leading with his familiar staff. Because each drummer paraded with his company, it was not until the 'band of musick' came into being that he was always required to march in front.

As a result of putting down his sticks to take up a staff, the Drum Major needed a distinctive cross-belt, as described in a military treatise of 1786; '... the loops on the Drum-major's Belt to be entirely on the left Side, as he should make a Cross of it with his Sword Belt, and carry his sticks constantly in the Loops, as a Badge of Office when on Duty', and the sticks '... should be of Ebony tipt with Silver, it being part of the Foppery to be allowed in his Appointments, for no other purpose, but merely shew.' [bennett Cuthbertson, A System for the Compleat Interior Management and economy of a Battalion of Infantry, Dublin, 1768, p123-24]

References to the office of Drum Major appear as early as the 1590s, but the rank does not appear on regimental establishments of the early seventeenth century. During the Commonwealth, a particularly low period for the art of drumming, the appointment seems to have been lost. At the Restoration, only the Foot Guards, and later the Royal Artillery, appear to have had official blessing for a Drum Major. The marching regiments seem to have gone without an official Drum Major until 1810, although one existed in practice, when an extra sergeant was allowed to hold that position. Hitherto, the senior was always shown in returns in the Grenadier Company among the drummer and fifers with the suffix 'D.M.'. Between 1881 and 1928 the time-honoured title was abolished in favour of 'sergeant drummer' although the holder continued to enjoy the dress and privileges of a Staff Sergeant.

post-599-0-93691100-1341963049_thumb.jpg

The photo shows Drum Major Wilfred R Thompson, 1st Battalion, King's Own Royal Regiment, Dover, 1914.

From the daughter of Drum Major Thompson:

Drums at Dover.

My father as Drum Major had an eventful time with the Boys in the Drums, while they were at Dover Castle. Their worst exploit was the scaling of some part of the building, and the destruction of a chimney by pushing it until it fell from the roof to the ground.

Punishment was by caning of bared rear, the culprit leaning over a table and the rest of the boys drawn up in a semi-circle to witness what might befall them. The Drum Major officiated. My father hated these occasions; once he jibbed and delegated the duty, since the victim was the son of a former Drum Major who had given him the treatment some 10 years before.

These were no doubt the boys who were reported to have fired the first British shots of the war in Dover Harbour…..”

Volume Three of the Regimental History by Colonel J M Cowper tells the story of the first British shots of the war:

"On 4th August 1914 orders to mobilise reached the 1st Battalion, King’s Own, then stationed in Dover. The battalion promptly found the pre-arranged guards on the breakwater forts, and within thirty-five minutes they were embarked by launch and on their way to their posts. The Royal Navy was soon at work sweeping German shipping from the seas, and among the vessels brought into the harbour was a sailing ship which, like the others, required a military guard. Every man of the garrison was already committed, so the band boys of the King’s Own were detailed for this duty. The German crew kept below, but in the middle of the night the ship’s cook thought it safe to put out a cautious head in search of air. He was greeted by a volley which did more credit to the alertness of the band boys than to their marksmanship. It also gave them the distinction of firing the first shots of the war."

post-599-0-12862800-1341963310_thumb.jpg

Terrific response Frogsmile, I was hoping you would pass my way.

I must admit surprise that one Drum Major per battalion was the preferred compliment, purely because they appear so rarely in WW1 group NCO photographs. I had wondered whether the quotient was of one per Regiment; and that possibly a garrison based appointment. From your comments - obviously not. Presumably in an infantry battalion the Sergeant Drummer went 'over the top' with his unit in just the same manner as his fellow staff sergeants.

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to provide a most informative response; the 'Drums at Dover' is new to me as is the information about the ceremonial drumsticks. All adds to a most colourful history.

Regards

Suddery

Terrific response Frogsmile, I was hoping you would pass my way.

I must admit surprise that one Drum Major per battalion was the preferred compliment, purely because they appear so rarely in WW1 group NCO photographs. I had wondered whether the quotient was of one per Regiment; and that possibly a garrison based appointment. From your comments - obviously not. Presumably in an infantry battalion the Sergeant Drummer went 'over the top' with his unit in just the same manner as his fellow staff sergeants.

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to provide a most informative response; the 'Drums at Dover' is new to me as is the information about the ceremonial drumsticks. All adds to a most colourful history.

Regards

Suddery

At the beginning of the War and unlike the band, which in most (but not all) cases stayed at the regimental depot, the Sergeant Drummer and his drummers took their places with their companies (generally two per company and responsible for 'daily calls' on the bugle), but so many were killed in the front line and not easily replaced that by late 1916 they were retained at the rear for other duties.

I recommend that you get the following book from your local library, as it gives by far the best history I have read on the function of the band and drums (as well as buglers and pipers):

Music of the Scottish Regiments by David Murray ISBN 1 841830 26 7 (Mercat Press).

Chapter II - 'The Soldiers Day', is especially illuminating.

Thanks Gents', I'll prepare myself for some swotting tomorrow - seems a much better option than clearing the moss from the gutters !

Suddery