Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier named on Menin Gate

Beselare

I am helping a friend to research his grandfather's short time in the front line. He is officially listed on the Menin Gate as having died on 2nd November 1915. When searching Ancestry, I was lucky enough to find that his service record had survived in the 'burnt' section. This shows a Red Cross letter which states that he died as a German prisoner-of-war and was buried near Hulluch (the grave being lost later on).

I do not wish to cause the CWGC any unnecessary inconvenience, so can anyone please advise me if this soldier's name should really be on the Loos Memorial to the Missing or is it acceptable that it remains on the Menin Gate?

Bob

Hi Bob

I have come across simliar errors while researching a number of soldiers over the past few years.

Sometimes it can probably be explained by men being attached to other battalions or regiments.At other times there doesn,t appear

to be any logic.

Two examples

Lieutenant L.V .De Landre-Grogan 13th attd to the 1/5th York and Lancaster Regt recorded on the Ploegsteert Memorial.

He went missing in action norh of Cambrai on the 13th of Octocter 1918 so should be recorded on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial.

The second is Lieutenant K..George of the 1st Bde Australian Field Artillery.He was killed in action just west of Flers on the 7th of November 1916

so logically should be recorded on the Villers Bretonneux Memorial yet we find him on Menin Gate.

My view is as long as they are recorded on a memorial it is exceptable.However if the family require a amendment I,m certain the CWGC would

be willing to change it next time the relevant tablet at Loos is replaced.

Micks

Thanks Micks. I thought this might be a 'one-off' error, but obviously not. I don't think the family concerned would want to have things changed. It is interesting though that they now have to focus their attention on the Loos battlefield instead of the Ypres Salient!

Bob