Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I.D. British and Canadian cap badges?

Tom W.

#3 is The Canadian Scottish, 16th Battalion CEF. I believe they were from British Columbia.

Assuming #4 is a British soldier, it is either The Black Watch or 9th (Glasgow Highland) Battalion Highland Light Infantry. It is not possible to determine which without reading the scrolls on the badge.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to help you on the first two badges.

Mike

1. Ox and Bucks LI or Notts' Yeomanry (position of bugle strings varies slightly but would need to see close up to be sure).

2. Rifle Brigade pattern which means it could be Rifle Brigade or 8th,17th or 19th London Battalions (close up essential or alternative details such as shoulder titles required to confirm which).

3. No idea I'm afraid.

4. Black Watch, 9th (Glasgow Highlanders) HLI or Highland Cyclists. I'll try and identify the Divisional / Brigade patch tomorrow as this will help narrow down options.

Hope this helps

Suddery

Just had a thought re. 4.

The patch is very similar to the Canadian Divisions (colour denotes which brigade within which division - can't remember which is which but I do have info somewhere if you want me to check). If this is the case then Black Watch of Canada or Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regt (again of Canada)could be options.

Suddery

I was going to say - surely No. 4 is the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) of Canada, or 13th Bn CEF - as that triangle over rectangle is distinctive. If my memory's right that should be a blue triangle over a red rectangle. (3rd Brigade, 1st Canadian Division)

Agree Ox & Bucks for No.1 but it's not the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry. No. 2 could be the RB, but at this distance and size there are other alternatives which would need to be eliminated from a closer view. Agreed on No.3 too.

I was going to say - surely No. 4 is the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) of Canada, or 13th Bn CEF - as that triangle over rectangle is distinctive. If my memory's right that should be a blue triangle over a red rectangle. (3rd Brigade, 1st Canadian Division)

Agree Ox & Bucks for No.1 but it's not the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry. No. 2 could be the RB, but at this distance and size there are other alternatives which would need to be eliminated from a closer view. Agreed on No.3 too.

Here are closer shots of all four.

No. 1 and No. 2.

No. 3.

post-7020-0-69283700-1341707662_thumb.jp

post-7020-0-83558600-1341707725_thumb.jp

post-7020-0-08595100-1341707780_thumb.jp

Intrigued as to why you discarded the Notts' Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers) so emphatically as their badge is notoriously similar to that of the Ox Bucks. Is there some method of ready identification that I am unaware of ?

Subsequent close up confirms Ox and Bucks from shoulder title (which would have been my first point of call on a percentage basis) but that is not my point. I have in the past noticed a difference in tassle positions but this is uncorroborated as the examples I am aware of are not placed in context so could be one or other.

Most interested.

Suddery

No. 4 - 42nd Canadian Infantry Battalion

See badge here.

The shoulder flash is a dark green triangle over a French grey rectangular divisional patch.

(!3th Bn, CEF, would be a blue circle over red patch.)

Image on flickr showing shoulder flashes - RSM James Page, 42nd Battalion, Royal Highlanders of Canada 1918

#3 is The Canadian Scottish, 16th Battalion CEF. I believe they were from British Columbia.

The 16th was a composite battalion, formed from regiments in several regions across Canada: the 50th Regiment (Gordon Highlanders of Canada) in Victoria, the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders of Canada in Vancouver, the 79th Regiment (Cameron Highlanders of Canada) in Winnipeg, and the 91st Canadian Highlanders (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) in Hamilton.